Author Topic: Mustang Sally - now I know why...  (Read 4273 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Mustang Sally - now I know why...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:09 PM »
now, that makes more sense to me.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 04:41:50 AM »
Hey lowend 1, I gotta ask, what's your day gig?  ;D
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:46:47 AM »
Hey lowend 1, I gotta ask, what's your day gig?  ;D
Rick

My chosen profession is graphic designer / photographer, but the economy being what it is I am currently one of the "under-employed" you hear about. I work in a supermarket part-time. BTW, I cannot take credit for creating the Mustang Sally flow chart - only for finding it and bringing it to The Outpost, where it clearly belongs. I am, however, thinking of doing one for "Moondance" which I despise on several levels and refuse to play unless there is a threat of deadly force.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
I am, however, thinking of doing one for "Moondance" which I despise on several levels and refuse to play unless there is a threat of deadly force.

If you were a jazz musician, I'm guessing you would feel that way about Satin Doll.  Check the bass work starting at 1:30...leads into a very tasteful bass solo at 2:00.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »
Nice!

I don't geddit, what's so horrendous about playing Mustang Sally? Playing one bass line over and over is a style element for some songs. I have no issues with extremely simplistic bass playing, ostinato, that gets you heard and noticed. Or complex bass palying. What I'm not so crazy about is the stuff in the middle, like - groan - followinging the virtual rhythm guitar chords note for note bar for bar. There is no reason to play to guitar harmonies of A Minor, F Major, D Minor/Major and C Major anything else but one grinding A throughout. Get's you noticed more than that degrading harmony hopping. We're not the E string of a bar chord rhythm guitar, you know!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Wow.  No pickup, no amp and he can be heard over a big band.  Do you have any idea how hard you would have to play..., and yet it all swings with elegance.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »
His bass - and the strings - sure look beat!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
His bass - and the strings - sure look beat!

I was thinking that.  Today everyone screams if they get a nick in their instrument, and they're scared to turn the truss rod nut on an electric bass...

And this old boy is making fantastic music on a bass that looks like it went through the Punic Wars.  Bet that thing had already seen a thousand setups in dance halls, juke joints and nice clubs.

I wish I had a third of that guy's technique. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."