Author Topic: Mustang Sally - now I know why...  (Read 4272 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Mustang Sally - now I know why...
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »
I've never played Mustang Sally in my life.  I've read thread after thread about how much most bassists hate to play it - even when requested.
I've never understood why - it's a pretty cool old tune.

My kids were asked to play a few songs in their church's talent show next month. The theme of the show is 50's, 60's and 70's, and they were told to pick one song from each decade.  They asked me about a few 50's & 60's songs and I told them that Mustang sounded like fun They needed to record it and submit it tonight, but their bassist is UA, so they asked me to stand in on the recording.

Dear God!! After a few runs through, I wanted to scratch my eyeballs out. How can a song become so instantly distasteful?  We ended up funking it up and changing tempo just to keep everyone sane. I'm sure the church will hate it, but we had no time to change tunes - the kids ended up leaving here 30 minutes late (and the church just called to see where they were).  They also chose to do House of the Rising Sun as if the Ramones were doing it the 3rd and 4th verses, and it is cool as hell.

I'll never hear Mustang Sally the same way again.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Mustang Sally - now I know why...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
I'm one of those that likes to play.  Sure, it's pretty simple, but it doesn't make me want to poke needles in my eyes like "Green Eyed Lady".  If you do "Mustang Sally" like "Born Under A Bad Sign", it can be fun.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
Hiram Bullock (RIP) did a killer version.
 8)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »
I'm one of those that likes to play.  Sure, it's pretty simple, but it doesn't make me want to poke needles in my eyes like "Green Eyed Lady".  If you do "Mustang Sally" like "Born Under A Bad Sign", it can be fun.

I agree.  It's "In the Midnight Hour" that I always liked performing.  But both Mustang Sally and Midnight Hour are worthy songs.  And I don't even like R & B a great deal.  But there are certain songs like these mentioned, along with "Knock on Wood," "and many others that have a lot of merit even if they have been done to death through the years. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:43:58 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
I agree.  It's "In the Midnight Hour" that I always liked performing.  But both Mustang Sally and Midnight Hour are worthy songs.  And I don't even like R & B a great deal.  But there are certain songs like these mentioned, along with "Knock on Wood," "and many others that have a lot of merit even if they have been done to death through the years. 

I'm a big fan of another one that probably drives many bass players crazy...the Peter Gunn theme.  I just love pounding out that bass line overandoverandover.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
I'm a big fan of another one that probably drives many bass players crazy...the Peter Gunn theme.  I just love pounding out that bass line overandoverandover.

This is what I usually think of when I think of the Peter Gunn theme.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »

Yup, and several variations on that theme:
Take Me To The River
Black Cadillac
God is a Bullet
She Bop

The ultimate in simple bass lines is one of my favorite songs - Everyday People.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:36:06 AM »
one note.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »
Since we're admitting stuff here:  Roadrunner. I love both notes and shaking the place up.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
Yup, and several variations on that theme:
Take Me To The River
Black Cadillac
God is a Bullet
She Bop

The ultimate in simple bass lines is one of my favorite songs - Everyday People.

Everyday People.  Definitely one of my favorites, a transcendent song from that genre, IMO. 

--Blaise Pascal

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »
I'm more than happy to play Mustang Sally in a venue full of women who love to dance.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »
one note.

I can play the guitar solo on Cinnamon Girl!   ;)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
I'm more than happy to play Mustang Sally in a venue full of women who love to dance.

I agree Mark.  Not sure what we were playing here last Halloween, but the girls did love to dance!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
CCR's Run through the Jungle is just 3 notes over and over for almost 6 mins in our version. I love playing it. Just work that groove, work that groove. Impossible though, unless you have a drummer that "gets it".
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter