Author Topic: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - total team effort  (Read 923 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Planes, Trains & Automobiles - total team effort
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
While we were on vacation in Myrtle Beach 2 weeks ago, my oldest son (Chris, 18) got a call from a woman who produces shows for local bands here in NC. She called and asked if his band would play a show on the 20th.  Since the other members of his band just left for college the week before, he said they couldn't do it.  The only person available was his (now) 13 year old drummer brother, Nick.

She said that would be great if the two of them could open the show on 20-Aug at 7PM.  He agreed to do it.  He then told me about the call and I reminded him that Nick and I are flying back to NC from Florida at 5PM on the 20th. We'd have to get him from the airport to the show (what a rock star, eh?), but Chris would have to pack up the drums and his guitar stuff and load-in all by himself.

Before we left for Florida, Nick & I tore down his drum kit so Chris could load it in my truck on the 20th.

Fast forward to Saturday: Nick and I get off the connecting flight in Charlotte at 3:45PM only to find that our flight to RDU at 4:14PM has been cancelled.  Some quick checking with US Airways assures me that the next available flight (on any airline) is at 11:50PM.  No good.  Nick, (who's unhappy with the turn of events) calls my wife who starts making phone calls.  She calls me back a few minutes later and tells me that we have to get to the Amtrak station in Charlotte before 5PM to catch the train to Cary, NC, where she'll pick us up and drive to the show. Since the train doesn't get in until 8:08PM, the show's producer moves them back to the 2nd to last slot of the night.

Nick and I run to the Airport exit and hail a cab.  He gets us to the Amtrak station, where tickets are waiting for us and we get on the train to Cary.

Mom picks us up (with food) and we get to the venue at 8:40PM. They go on at 9:15PM and kill it as a duet.
These two had a total of 1 practice together to create a setlist for this show and about 30 minutes just prior to going on stage.
They did some cool stuff and created a cool instrumental medley of their own stuff and some classics like (Hocus Pocus and Moby Dick).
It turned out to be a great night - seeing my kids on stage together and enjoying each other's company is one of the most satisfying sights a parent can have.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - total team effort
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »
Awesome! Where'd they play?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
They played at the Holly Spring Community Center - they have a teen band night 4 times a year there.
It's cleaner than the Pour House and the Berkeley...

How's that Surf Band gig working out for you?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
DANG!1  That sounds like the kind of convoluted situation I get myself into!

...and yeah, how IS that surf gig coming??????
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
Stunning...!

Post some pics if they're happy for you to do it...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
Stunning...!

Post some pics if they're happy for you to do it...

Thanks....and sure, I'd be proud to post a few:

and in the spirit of doing a duet, they covered a White Stripes tune.  As you can see from the video, my little guy isn't exactly the "serious" kid.
As a person with very limited musical skills (and stage fright), I couldn't be prouder of these two.  They're having fun and being kids.