Author Topic: Good time yesterday: my first time on-stage  (Read 1390 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Good time yesterday: my first time on-stage
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:55:50 AM »
Hey all,

We threw a High School graduation party for my oldest son yesterday.  Since we were having roughly 80 people over to the house, we thought it would be fun to have his band play out on the back deck during the party. They asked my 12 year old to join in on drums, so they had 2 drum kits, bass, and 2 (later, 3) guitars and all sorts of stuff to bang on.  I setup the sound gear, then I grilled....in the 95 degree F heat.

After they played for a while, my oldest calls me over to the stage and asks me to sit in for a few songs.  Everyone who knows me knows that I'm extremely stage shy and have never played a single note outside of my jam room.  I couldn't say no.  It was really cool standing there between my 2 kids playing a few Clutch songs, Low Rider & War Pigs...followed up with a few Wiggles tunes for the kids.  (I think I nailed "Fruit Salad").

At one time or another, we had most of the neighborhood at the house, and it was a great time.  Several other folks grabbed an instrument and joined the jam. I was surprised how quickly I overcame my stage-fright and how comfortable I was playing.  Granted, I was surrounded by family, friends and neighbors...
It was cool that at one point later in the day, all 5 kids playing on stage had all graduated early that morning.

Good time...strike it off the bucket list.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Good time yesterday: my first time on-stage
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »
Good for you! It's big the first time you get up there. Even if you have no desire to go further with it (like playing in a club), it will be much easier to do it again.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »

Congratulations!

I hope you find playing out as addicting (in a pleasurable way) as I do, by nature I'm quiet and shy too - before a show I'm keyed up and nervous, afterwords I'm spent ( in a happy way, like after sex  ;) ) but in great anticipation of performing again. Truly one my life's great moments!

Rock on :toast:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
Congratulations, you popped your gig cherry! No turning back now, my friend. ;)

This is the coolest thing I've read in ages. I'm really happy for you and for the obvious love and support you share with your kids. I hope I can be the same way with mine as they grow older.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »
 :toast:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
it's addictive too. once you see the crowd move, you're hooked.good luck. i'm trying to put something new together myself.my last gig was in Jan. i miss it bad.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
Congrats, sound like you had a blast!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
 Glad you had a good time! It is not a easy thing getting up on stage. My first time was my 8th grade talent show and it was not fun! I kept coming back I wanted to be up there so bad.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chaser001

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
Congratulations on that and I hope you get to play on stage some more. 

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
Thanks to all for the nice comments.
It was certainly a day that I won't forget anytime soon.

What really surprised me, and some of you experts might explain this to me, is that my amp was pretty anemic outdoors.
In the Jam Room, it rattles windows and can overpower everything in the room.
Outdoors, it struggled - a friend who was helping us out with the sound kept turning me up.
People were giving me the "thumbs down", which I interpret as "your volume is too low".  :mrgreen:

I used a Peavey Mark VIII (600W @ 2 Ohms) with a 210TVX & 115-BW (both are 4 Ohm cabs) - it sounded fine, but I had both the Pre & Post Gain turned up to past 75% and started to see the Compression light on quite a bit.  The DDT Compression circuit is great as it eliminates audible clipping & distortion, but serves as a visual warning. 

I was really shocked at how the guitar amps blew it out of the water outdoors...I also have this thing about cranking my amplifiers, so it could have just been operator error.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Sound reflection in the room - no walls equals...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
From a completely non scientific POV, how your cabinets throw the sound waves makes a huge difference. When I was first playing out I had an 8X10 and a 4X12 folded horn. On stage I would keep turning up because I couldn't hear myself but at the back of the club they were being thrown against the wall every time I hit a string. Sound guys hated me and it took a while before I realized they were right! (To a certain degree. :mrgreen:)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »
:toast:

great  to hear.  it's addictive isn't it!!!! :toast:
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM