Author Topic: new GK day for me too!  (Read 11306 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: new GK day for me too!
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
The edges of the cabinet seems quite fragile. It's dings up very easily exposing white primer underneath.

I just landed a MB 212 for that exact reason- couple hairline cracks on the top rear corners.  Got it from Music 123 for 640 shipped.

I've been looking for a lightweight combo to take to some gigs in place of my 150 lb tube behemoth.  This 37 pounder will fit the bill!  Andy (Nokturnal) on here has had a couple of 412 rigs that I've loved playing thru, and so I felt compelled to seek out a 212.  It was between this, and something from Genz (for a bit more).

Sounds great here at the house.  Looking forward to trying it in the band setting...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
I saw one of the 112 extension cabs with the black covering practically torn off the top front, leaving bare wood exposed. Mine is in good shape so far but hasn't been gigged yet. That will change July 24!

Looking forward to reviews from both of you!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
Well, I had a chance to try out the MB212-II at volume last weekend.  Really happy with it!  Took it to a rehearsal with the 79 Mockingbird and got a great sound out of it - full, nice mids, punchy, plenty of headroom...  This has a lot more high end than I'm used to with the Orange rig, and so I was running it with the horn off, and with the treble cut a bit.  I also think that I found a good match for my FMR RNLA compressor.  That thing is very colorizing, and imparts a thick, gritty, growly character.  It can be overwhelming with the darkly-voiced Orange rig (usually use a DBX 166a with that), but a touch of it with this amp felt perfect.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
Well, I had a chance to try out the MB212-II at volume last weekend.  Really happy with it!  Took it to a rehearsal with the 79 Mockingbird and got a great sound out of it - full, nice mids, punchy, plenty of headroom...  This has a lot more high end than I'm used to with the Orange rig, and so I was running it with the horn off, and with the treble cut a bit.  I also think that I found a good match for my FMR RNLA compressor.  That thing is very colorizing, and imparts a thick, gritty, growly character.  It can be overwhelming with the darkly-voiced Orange rig (usually use a DBX 166a with that), but a touch of it with this amp felt perfect.
Cool - thanks for the review! The RNLA sounds interesting. I've always been tempted by the RNC but never sprang for it (it would actually be used mostly for voices for my podcast)

I am playing out with the GK MB-112 II for the first time tonight - wish me luck!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »
Cool - thanks for the review! The RNLA sounds interesting. I've always been tempted by the RNC but never sprang for it (it would actually be used mostly for voices for my podcast)

I am playing out with the GK MB-112 II for the first time tonight - wish me luck!

I used to have an RNC, but did not care much for it with bass and keys (at least with low frequencies).  Seemed to impart some ugly, distorted artifacts when used with shorter release settings (IIRC).  Might fare better with vocals, though?  A lot of people rave about them...  I just didn't get that vibe from mine.  I felt that my DBX sounded far better as a somewhat "transparent" compressor - and I got that one for only ~$75 off Ebay.

I don't notice the artifacts with the RNLA, but that one is more of a thick, gooey, lumbering type of comp.  Make ya sound like James Earl Jones on your podcast!  ;D

Good luck with the gig!  Look forward to audio or video if you manage to get some.

Cheers

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 01:26:44 AM »
Quick report - the GK came through with flying colors - more than enough power for the small room we were playing. Almost TOO much bass believe it or not, even with just the single 12".

I'll just share one shot for now - I like this one because A) you can see the GK logo of my amp, B) my Belgian beer (rare to have draft here) in the foreground, and C) I'm playing way up on the Triumph!

I pulled a recording but not sure how it came out - hopefully it's halfway decent but I couldn't check the levels once we started playing.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
... Almost TOO much bass ...

I think I need to go lie down for a while...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
I think I need to go lie down for a while...
Between me turning DOWN the bass and Uwe having enough basses - what is the world coming to?!!  :P

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »

... and I've just come to the end of the film "Knowing" with Nick Cage...  :o :o :o

At least it's the week... end...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
Finally got around to taking a couple of photos of my MB410-II & MBP410-II.  ;D

1000 Watts total.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »
Finally got around to taking a couple of photos of my MB410-II & MBP410-II.  ;D

1000 Watts total.

TD
Hey, I didn't notice you had posted - looks great! I take it you are satisfied? Can we get a report?