Author Topic: Natural flavoring  (Read 5828 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Natural flavoring
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
I prefer my beaver without vanilla, really ruins it for me. Obviously an American invention.  :-\

Beats the fish flavored beaver every time  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
Ah... welcome to my world...

They often filter cheaper brands of sugar through burnt and pulverized bones to make it nice and white...

Cochineal -  a nice bright red natural food dye, made from dried and crushed Mexican beetles...

Castoreum... I can only guess that it was first noticed my fur-traders and whilst skinning beavers they noticed the smell...

How about food that are so outlandish it makes no sense - kidney beans are poisonous until cooked twice, and what about that Japanese fish that may or may not kill you if it is not prepared correctly...

Blowfish.  I worked with a chef that had eaten it.  He said it was really good.  The trick is to remove each of the poison sacs without rupturing them.  I'm good with a decent shark steak.  I'm not that adventurous.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »
I had no idea about the beans...I love to cook...red beans and rice is a staple...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Don't go eatin' them raw 'taters either.  They needs ta be cooked.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »
I had no idea about the beans...I love to cook...red beans and rice is a staple...

I'm cheating re double cooking but as you have to soak them overnight, 8-12 hours or so, and then boil them forever afterwards, and when it's just so easy to open a can... you can take "fresh" just a little too far...  ;)

Not doing this will seriously give you the trotskies...

Blowfish.  I worked with a chef that had eaten it.  He said it was really good...

Cheers Gary... makes you wonder the conversation that took place in some harbour somewhere lost in time...

What we gonna do with this thing, Hiro...?
Cook it up and tly it...
You first...
Chicken...
No... it fish...
HO... HO... ROR (Ralf Out Roud)
(gutting and cooking segment)
Taste leal good, you tly... ACK!!! (falls over dead)
Hmm... who want next portion...?
;D

They look like they don't want to get eaten...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
Now let's talk about chicken nuggets. I think I'll pass.  :puke:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
I likes me some Arby's made of re-formatted beef parts!!   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »

I think margarine is pretty disgusting. And does anybody else here remember mellorine? Yuck!

My grandpa was the town milkman (Park Falls, WI if it matters) so they always had real dairy stuff. But I remember my Dad telling me about when he was little his momwould take the kids when Grampa was out delivering, and running to the border of Upper Michigan so they could buy Margarine, which apparently was illegal in WIsconsin until fairly recently. You could buy it at the grocery, but the only way it came was packaged separately from the colorants so you had to mix it yourself if you wanted it to look like butter. Nothing they could do about the taste, though...
But hey, if we can't have it it must be good, right?
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »
Don't go eatin' them raw 'taters either.  They needs ta be cooked.

Only the green sunburned skin of a potato that broke through the ground while growing is poisonous.

I likes me some Arby's made of re-formatted beef parts!!   ;D

I used to love Arbys, but a couple of years ago they changed their formula and added even more sodium to it and now I can't stand it because all of the sandwiches taste salty to the point of nausea.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:53:01 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
My grandpa was the town milkman (Park Falls, WI if it matters) so they always had real dairy stuff. But I remember my Dad telling me about when he was little his momwould take the kids when Grampa was out delivering, and running to the border of Upper Michigan so they could buy Margarine, which apparently was illegal in WIsconsin until fairly recently. You could buy it at the grocery, but the only way it came was packaged separately from the colorants so you had to mix it yourself if you wanted it to look like butter. Nothing they could do about the taste, though...
But hey, if we can't have it it must be good, right?

The yellow dye packets were gone by the time I first moved to western Wisconsin in 1967, that supposedly ended in the mid-1950s. But it was still illegal to use the word butter in a margarine commercial!

I remember this one, because if it originated from the local station (MN or WI) there were bleeps every time the word butter was used. If it was run as a national commercial out of the network, it was uncensored.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
Only the green sunburned skin of a potato that broke through the ground while growing is poisonous.

From what I understand, that's close.  Green areas on potatoes often indicate a higher level of toxins, but they can occur under the skin of potatoes, not just in the skin. Sprouts tend to have have the toxin as well...not safe to eat.

Not a big deal - to get enough of the toxins to actually hurt you would require eating a LOT of potatoes.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...