Author Topic: Make Gibson Basses great again  (Read 1672 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Make Gibson Basses great again
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2022, 09:19:37 AM »
The thought of a book on Wish is enough to give one twinges . I’ve only seen one Wishbass in the flesh , and it did not disappoint . It truly was as awful as I had expected .
And my hopes were low .

I never claimed his basses were any good, but he's an interesting person. That is why I bought his book and not his bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Make Gibson Basses great again
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2022, 03:11:25 PM »
My guess on what happened with Leon Wilkeson is this.  He was already playing bass in the upright (Bill Wyman) position anyway even before the plane crash.  But in the crash his arm, of course, got very damaged and the doctors considered amputating it.  After the injury, he was never able to fully extend his left arm--making it impossible to play a bass any other way except vertically.  Most likely, though, he had to play at an even steeper angle than before. 

I can identify with this a little.  Because of whiplash injuries playing pickstyle puts some pressure on my neck.  I find myself with no choice but to sometimes "try" to play fingerstyle, even though that has never been my preference.  But the change from pickstyle to fingerstyle can make a big difference on my neck. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal