Author Topic: cured neckdive Epi JCS  (Read 3239 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: cured neckdive Epi JCS
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I think the long shaft tuners look better anyway. Your JCS is a stunner. Epi's are made for improving.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
What PBG said
It is a hot looking bass.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »
Always liked this bass!  That pickup just "fits" IMO - both visually, and I'd bet audibly as well.

Some of the Japan-made Epis had that headstock shape (e.g. the EB-3s), and so it doesn't look out of place to me here.

Nice work!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:19 AM »
Some of the Japan-made Epis had that headstock shape (e.g. the EB-3s), and so it doesn't look out of place to me here.

That's what I figured too  ;)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 06:43:48 AM »
Very nice work there.  Aren't those tuners available in two different shaft diameters?  Do you have a picture of the back of the headstock?

here you go:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
Even have one of Carlo's trees in there  ;D

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:56 AM »
I think the Gibson headstock nod to the LP Sig is a great idea on the JC Sig. What was the difference in weight between the 2 sets of keys?  What is the main difference in that LO Z to the Electar? I suppose the 3 position impedence switch fully functions?  Also inspired by that key change in weight mod I'm thinking it might make the difference in the neck dive I have on my 7 /14 lb. Fender '55 CS P that has neck dive. The Keys have the long shaft which looks good on that old headstock. Where did you order them from?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
I think the Gibson headstock nod to the LP Sig is a great idea on the JC Sig. What was the difference in weight between the 2 sets of keys?  What is the main difference in that LO Z to the Electar? I suppose the 3 position impedence switch fully functions?  Also inspired by that key change in weight mod I'm thinking it might make the difference in the neck dive I have on my 7 /14 lb. Fender '55 CS P that has neck dive. The Keys have the long shaft which looks good on that old headstock. Where did you order them from?

The GB528 that I have on the JCS weigh 59.2g/pcs (see chart below)

You may want to install the GB640 which is more vintage correct to the 55 P bass. Looks like this:

The old Gibson Lo-z Pickup sounds more authoritative. Bigger dynamic range. More body.
I found the Electar a little bit bland / meek in comparison.

The three position rotary switch actually works, yes. You can choose the actual coiltaps coming straight from the pickup.
So it does not control an impedance transformer like the original Epiphone JCS.
The result however, is the same; you can choose the impedance.

I ordered the Gotoh Res-o-lites through a friend of mine (Peter "Peterbuilt" Boer) who is also a member of LBO. He ordered straight from Hosco.