Author Topic: Guild M-85 project - new pics  (Read 35782 times)

Rvl

• View Profile
Re: Guild M-75 "improvement" project
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
I have 4 of Hammon's pickups and they are nice
I think a single Dark Star pickup at the neck would work really well on this project
Just finished installing one of Hammon's creations into a EB2 copy and it sounds great

Thanks

Robert VanLane

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
Yeah, I got the DS measurement from Fred and I'm gonna make some paper templates to see how much routing I'd have to do in order to use them on the M-85.  I'm still fond of the TV Jones pups and the ones you've talked about, but in the end, it's a Guild body and I'm feeling a little guilty about not using the DS pups.  I want a good sound and I also want a Guild look to it in the end!  So.................DS will probably win out in the end.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
I have a pair waiting  for the  Starfire .I think you should pull the trigger.....How is the bridge coming along? I found the rose wood saddle blanks a guy sent me from florida (Badass site). I also found the decals for the head if you want a set.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2008, 10:53:34 AM »
Sure, send me a PM and let me know what you need for them.  Thanks!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
Well, I made a couple templates of DS pups, laid them out on top of the body and it sure looks like they'd fit really nice.  They've always been kinda big for the M-85 body IMHO, but they do look good, a throwback to the old Hag pups.  The other advantage of going DS is the bridge pup will cover up the previous guitar bridge holes!  Very cool for me.

So, it's time to place an order with Fred..................

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
Got my MOP headstock inlays from my inlay guy, made to exact specs and beautifully done.  Excuse the crappy picture, it's covered in protective plastic and you really can't see that nice MOP sheen it has.............

a SPECIAL thanks also to shadowcastaz for the Guild goodies and bridge he sent for copying!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »
Man its nice  lookin. The stuff I got was already inlayed into a fiber board from the guild factory .. You gotta have a steady hand when u start cuttin . ....your welcome BTW,its my pleasure.M

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
Man its nice  lookin. The stuff I got was already inlayed into a fiber board from the guild factory .. You gotta have a steady hand when u start cuttin . ....your welcome BTW,its my pleasure.M

For sure on the "steady hand!"  I have the Stew-Mac inlay attachments for my dremel and I'm going to do some practicing on scrap before I try the inlay on the headstock.  The more you do the better you get!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2008, 07:19:32 PM »
kinda like cookin.......... :mrgreen:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
A lot of things in life are like cookin!  Recipes, ingredients, equipment, skill, practice!  It's all good!q

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »
I've been thinking a lot about this one lately.  I'm reverse-engineering the neck pocket at present and have recently done my first inlay on maple board project.  I'm thinking this bass might look cool in a solid color with a maple board.  What do you guys think?

The top isn't that great, it's nice maple but not really figured and it has a crack, which I hate to think about trying to fix so it doesn't show..............

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »
I have no doubt you'd make it look nice, but will a maple board look right on an M-75?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2008, 11:33:45 AM »
I have no doubt you'd make it look nice, but will a maple board look right on an M-75?

Somehow I knew you'd say that!  The maple board was an experiment (my first board inlays other than dots!) so I was thinking about where I could use it.  I think a maple board could look nice with the right color combination, but I've been wrong before!!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »
I like the idea, but I think you'll want to make it complementary in color, rather than identical.  I admit I didn't read the thread carefully - is the body going to be natural?  If so, I'm thinking the neck ought to be slightly lighter than the body...but whadda I know??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
That B eye board looks good  but I would save it  for a future build. A nice dark rosewood board would look good with any color body so  why stress over the right color with the maple board. Those guilds are such classics, like the Lps etc. Its kinda like putting a monkey pod board on a 59 strat. Ive been wrong before :mrgreen: trust the force OB won!!