Author Topic: Three pickup bird..  (Read 5660 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Three pickup bird..
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »
$5640? Holy crap!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »
I think I remember Uwe with a 3 pup gold hardware 'Bird that was an original and a one-off, iirc, but for the age of this one those pups should be three screw fixings to be original...? Also the mix-and-match parts are a questionable feature...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:45:21 AM »

Already gone - those things are rare, but our infamous Hero Member MC2NY/Honorary Soprano was good enough to alleviate my sense of loss already some time ago at a much fairer price, mine is even a prototype! And who, I cry, wants chrome when he can have those impeccable surface black/brownish/grey sopies?!!!

PS: Meisner's neo-rock'n'roll runs are just too cute! For sourpuss Henley, his bass playing was probably way too jokey. I play a lot of humorous stuff in my lines - throwing in classic riffs, children's melodies, citing here and there -, you won't believe how pofaced (drummers and guitarists especially) some people can be if you do that. When I did JP's Breaking the Law riff (just once and during a meandering guitar solo at the end) in a cover of Oasis' Live Forever my then Brit Pop band buddies gave me a stern look during the mixing: "We would have wiped this, had we noticed it earlier." Tough luck, Brit Pop shoegaze boy, if you don't know your Priest!  :P

But when we rehearsed a song with a - very good it has to be said - auditioning Dutch lead guitarist yesterday and I impromptu started playing the Shocking Blue - Venus chromatic bass line in one ouf our songs, he noticed immediately and smiled broadly. We should probably take the guy just for his humor (and his cute Dutch accent). He did laugh out loud when  - I was late to the rehearsal as usual - I walked up to him and said: "Hi Matt, my name is Uwe, to get this out of the way: My grandfather was stationed in the Netherlands and always spoke well about his time there, but I just checked our cellar and there are definitely no more confiscated bikes there, I swear ...".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:20:43 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:35:19 AM »

Uwe, you're killin' me!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:44 AM »
Hmm, they put the 3rd pup in the wrong spot!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
That's like they all are, emulating a P Bass position in a vain attempt to get that sound too.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »
Hmm, they put the 3rd pup in the wrong spot!

LOL.

Also, since TB pups are different for bridge and 'neck' positions, anyone know what they did for middle?  I am assuming it would make most sense to use a 'neck' pup in middle position (if not making a custom one for that position, which seems not cost effective).)
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »
Frankly, Scarlett, I don't think they gave a damn.

The set up is all weird on mine, with huge cancelling out, they always run in pairs G3 style, which leads to an ultra-scooped synth-low sound. I never changed it, because that is the way the prototype was. It looks cool though. Three pup basses always do, there really should be more of them. More is more even if less.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:22:12 AM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
I suppose that shouldn't come as much surprise.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:55:35 AM »

But when we rehearsed a song with a - very good it has to be said - auditioning Dutch lead guitarist yesterday and I impromptu started playing the Shocking Blue - Venus chromatic bass line in one ouf our songs, he noticed immediately and smiled broadly. We should probably take the guy just for his humor (and his cute Dutch accent). He did laugh out loud when  - I was late to the rehearsal as usual - I walked up to him and said: "Hi Matt, my name is Uwe, to get this out of the way: My grandfather was stationed in the Netherlands and always spoke well about his time there, but I just checked our cellar and there are definitely no more confiscated bikes there, I swear ...".

Did you tell him where the Shocking Blue got the Venus melody?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »
 :o :o :o :o you could buy a 60s Tbird66@rochester.rr.com for that.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 07:23:43 PM »
Did you tell him where the Shocking Blue got the Venus melody?

I didn't want to say anything disrespectful to him, Dave, I'm always concerned how people might misunderstand some of my comments. But, yeah, I haven't forgotten your compelling evidence on yet another incident of vile Dutch thievery!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »
:o :o :o :o you could buy a 60s Tbird66@rochester.rr.com for that.

But 60ies TBirds with three pups in the original are admittedly rare. I'm not surprised, those things crop up seldomly and always get traded at steep prices.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
I didn't want to say anything disrespectful to him, Dave, I'm always concerned how people might misunderstand some of my comments. But, yeah, I haven't forgotten your compelling evidence on yet another incident of vile Dutch thievery!!!

It's not a secret anymore!