Author Topic: NBD: Dingwall Lee Sklar  (Read 2602 times)

Blackbird

• View Profile
NBD: Dingwall Lee Sklar
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:48:08 AM »
I rolled the dice and grabbed a red Sklar Dingwall.  Being Canadian it was kind of a bucket list thing to have a bass from one of the CDN builders (Fbass or Dingwall)...and I wanted to just have one bass that did everything I wanted it too now that everything is just about gone. 

It's quite an incredible instrument.  Sheldon thought of everything on this....all the tones in active or passive are fantastic, the B and E strings REALLY stand out compare to the standard 34" inch scale basses.  I'm not a tall lanky guy at all and have no issues at all playing the 37" scale.   The strap positions when standing up actually bring it closer.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NBD: Dingwall Lee Sklar
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:03:12 AM »
It's beautiful!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
Congrats!

I've always wondered if I could adapt to a multi-scale. Maybe if I grow my beard as long as Lee's....

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
Shedlon Dingwall alwats says it takes you ten minutes... ...but he's the (great) guy selling the things. I tried several multi-scales, also a four string Ibanez, and you get used to it very fast. The only more difficult thing - and Sheldon admits that - are the very high positions.

I love the D-Bird, a fanned fret Thunderbird, developed with my Dutch bass friend Rob van der Loo of Epica.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
I was kind of fascinated by the idea of a fanned fret 6 string after seeing Haken for the first time a few years ago. Their guy Conner Green was playing a Dingwall at the time (he has since switched to a normally fretted Zon 6). If I decide to take the plunge, I'll probably start with a lower priced Ibanez. Sounds like you love your 5. Glad it worked out!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »
I found it took very little adjustment and it became second nature in no time.   

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Congrats on the sleek new Dingwall Blackbird. It would be funny to see Gibson come out with a fanned fret Thunderbird of their own but 9 ply neck through of course. They could call it the Thunderwall.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
Congrats on the sleek new Dingwall Blackbird. It would be funny to see Gibson come out with a fanned fret Thunderbird of their own but 9 ply neck through of course. They could call it the Thunderwall.

Or the Dingbird.  :mrgreen:

Dingwall used the Novax fanned fret patent which expired about 10 years ago. AFAIK Novax still has a trademark on the "fanned fret" phrase.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
Closest I'll get to one is our weekly shop in Dingwall Tesco's...  8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:07 PM »
I love the idea of them, but the extended scale is clearly a tide I swim against.

:mrgreen: