Author Topic: Snowed in.  (Read 2023 times)

Blazer

Snowed in.
« on: January 05, 2009, 06:35:50 AM »
Well then, a white Christmas we didn't have, but it had been freezing for a couple of weeks now and people in my country were elated because of the possibility of there finally being able to ride the famous "Eleven cities" skate marathon again in over 15 years.

But when I got to bed yesterday night I saw them: snowflakes. I looked out of the window and went "Wow, I'd almost forgotten how beautiful this looks"

But when I woke up this morning I was surprised at how dark it still was, when I took a look through my roof windows I was shown the answer to why. Almost a foot of snow. And it's still coming down as we speak. Coupled to the fact that the weather forecast predicted artic temperatures, which means that this snow won't be going anywhere for the next couple of days meant that I have to take action.

I have cancelled going to work, since the roads will be dangerously slipperry. I have to get supplies at the nearby shop on foot and prepair myself for being snowed in for a couple of days. 

It DOES make for beautiful scenery though.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Snowed in.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:53:01 AM »
Wow, here in the north western part of Holland it's just cold and sunny:)

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:02 AM »
Wow, here in the north western part of Holland it's just cold and sunny:)
Tja, hier in Limburg dus niet.

The view outside my window, as you can tell, it DOES look beautiful.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:42:54 AM »
Spokane, WA has had 70 inches of snow so far.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »

Spokane, WA has had 70 inches of snow so far.

Yup! Trust me, I very glad to be on the west side of the state! I was born about 80mi north of Spokane and still remember the winters from my very early childhood. Yet this year Seattle had a White Christmas for the first time in many years - it was beautiful, it was also a huge PITA for the entire region, 'cause for the most part we're idiots that don't know how to drive in the snowand ice.  It was my first chance to drive my AWD Subaru in the snow, it performed fantastic, very well balanced front to back and in low gear there's very few places it won't take you.........I Love my car! 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »
It was my first chance to drive my AWD Subaru in the snow, it performed fantastic, very well balanced front to back and in low gear there's very few places it won't take you.........I Love my car! 

We have had a good amount of snow and my Subu as well has handled great in it. It help even more when I bought a set of Nokian WR tires

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
I remember seeing footage on the news a couple weeks ago where people were driving and would start spinning. My mom even saw where all these cars were trying to get up a hill just to slip backwards when they almost got the to top. They had a line and everything and were taking turns.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »
Just because you have 4 wheel or AWD does not mean your car will not loose control. People need to realize that tires are a big part of the equation and no matter what your drive you brake and anything can slide unless you have studs

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »
HA! Winnipeg just registered -41 deg Celsius (-53 with windchill factor) yesterday. The Canadian prairies from the foothills of the Rockies all the way to the Lakehead are a frozen tundra! Luckily, I'm far enough south that I'm missing most of it but we've still got at least 60 cm / 2 feet of snow on the ground.

....... can't wait for Spring  ;D
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Blazer

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
Just because you have 4 wheel or AWD does not mean your car will not loose control. People need to realize that tires are a big part of the equation and no matter what your drive you brake and anything can slide unless you have studs
Yup, just look at this...

One double whammy after another. Now there's the reason why I won't even go near my car right now.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
I remember seeing that last winter.  It MUST have been taken on one of Seattle's steep hills, but the angle is such that you can't tell the severity of the slope.

The camera is so far away that you can't even see Univ. of Washington stickers on the cars.

( ;D....Chuckle...  ;D)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:29:55 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »

I guess I need to repost my own quote here.

"a huge PITA for the entire region, 'cause for the most part we're idiots that don't know how to drive in the snowand ice."

That footage is from 2007 tho...............It was worse about 10 days ago.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
Yup, just look at this...

One double whammy after another. Now there's the reason why I won't even go near my car right now.

WTF the SUV is bouncing around like a pinball?

I would have thought ABS would have stopped the vehicle.
Ironically what people do not understand is with AWD / computer systems you must keep your foot on the accelerator to keep the system active - you let off the gas and your at God's mercy.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
On my Charger it doesn't matter. As soon as HAL (the onboard 'puter) senses anything out of kilter, the ESP, BAS and ABS take over and effectively take your foot off the go pedal until calm is restored. You can mash your foot to the floor all you want - the car doesn't listen until it's good and ready. The first few times it's a little unnerving, but it's preferable to going sideways. :o
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
All those years up north I managed to get by without 4 wheel drive and avoid any winter acidents. My biggest fear was that I would get clobbered by someone with a 4WD vehicle who didn't know how to handle it.