Author Topic: I'd really doubt that any of you would see this song as being "Prog rock"  (Read 1129 times)

Blazer

Bucks Fizz - "Land of make believe"

I really doubt that any of you would see this eighties bubblegum pop hit as being Prog Rock.

And yet it technically spoken IS a prog rock song. Because it was written by Peter Sinfield who was in the original line up of King Crimson, then add to the fact that it has fairy tale lyrics, an unusual time signature and listen to the chord sequences.

In the early eighties "Prog Rock" almost became a dirty word and because of Punk having overturned the whole scene, fairy tale lyrics (Such as Rush' "Xanadu", Yes' "Yours is no disgrace" and Genesis' "Musical box") were replaced by songs about the bitter reality of Thatcher-led Brittain, unemployment and rioting were the next big thing.

So given that, it was a smart move by bands like Yes and Genesis to adopt a more mainstream sound and appearing to an audience that didn't want the Punk and new wave thing.

Peter Sinfield, perhaps was even smarter, by writing songs rooted deep in the Prog Rock vein but letting them be released by contemporary pop artists, making sure that he both could earn himself a living while also staying true to the music he became known for.

Peter Sinfield also wrote THIS little song for this, at the time not yet big, French/Canadian artist...

Celine Dion - "Think twice"

In both of these songs you can really hear the Prog rock background of Sinfeld, the eleborate musical arrangements and the use of surreal lyrics are a dead give away.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Pretty cool.  I never knew that Sinfield left the dark society of prog rock for smart, simple songs and arrangements.  The Crimheads have never forgiven Ian McDonald for Foreigner, although they don't seem to take issue with Pat Mastelotto's time with both Mister Mister and The Rembrandts.  There's times when I think that the prog rock fanbase is almost as prejudiced as the metal crowd.  Yes is a perfect example of how to work the elements of what we term prog into songs that have mass appeal.  Most normal music fans don't know that Bowie's "Heroes" was written by Bowie, Fripp and Eno.  And KC released songs like "Heartbeat" and "People" with the same conviction as "Discipline" and "Larks Tongue in Aspic".

Last, but not least, these guys went on to join Yes.  You'll even hear a familiar Asia riff in there.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Blazer

Right, people slag Genesis for adopting a more Pop sound and image but apparently they didn't mind Peter Gabriel doing the same.  :-\

Andrew

• View Profile
Right, people slag Genesis for adopting a more Pop sound and image but apparently they didn't mind Peter Gabriel doing the same.  :-\

That's because Gabriel adopted "World Music" into his sound, which is an easy way to fool musically ignorant people into thinking they are broad and eclectic music listeners.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Listening to Peter Gabriel right now. :D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
To me that Bucks Fizz song sounds like good old Peter had been ordered to "write a song like ABBA". Not that ABBA did not use a lot of classical music song structures and hooks you would not think out of place on a prog track either.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
I can hear what you are saying Blazer but man that production is hard to get past  :-X
Digresion our specialty!