Author Topic: Don't read this Rhythm N. Bliss!!!  (Read 6840 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Don't read this Rhythm N. Bliss!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 05:25:25 AM »
If you want testimony for Coverdale's (former) prowess as a singer listen to the California Jam DVD with Purple where he bellows his way through the set with sweat, charm and aplomb

Not to mention fighting off insects!
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 06:06:36 AM »
WooHooo! Thanks a lot, Uwe! I'd forgotten all about the Government!
That'll make a great Christmas present.

I have the Cali Jam DVD of course. It is FANFOKKINGTASTIC!
I have a bootleg of CP in Osaka & also DC with Sykes, Murray & Powell in Japan too!!

You betcha I'll be at a WS gig or 3 when they tour Cali again.
Even if there's a recorded track it won't bother me.
Maybe DC needs a little help to remember the words now. heh
I got some lyric sheets from off the stage in 2003...still got 'em somewhere.
The songs are great & it's also about the music---none of that was pre-recorded, was it?
David's always had great players workin' with him, & the current lineup is GREAT!
The chicks at WS shows are worth the cost of admission!

I saw The Robbie Krieger Band back in '95 & it was cool cuz as you probly know, Robbie's voice is high & squeaky...but it didn't matter cuz the crowd singin' every word sounded like a HUGE Morrison--deeep & strong!
Coverdale shouldn't be worried about sounding like the recordings.
The WS Choir augments the vocals just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How didja like the new songs LIVE? Didn't they do 3 or 5 off Good To Be Bad?
Gotta give The Man credit for puttin' out The Album o' the Year & not just resting on his laurels.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:14:04 AM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
As much as I like Coverdale and Whitesnake, I've always thought that Glenn Hughes was the better singer of the pair.  He's the one I've followed through the years.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »
Hughes is no doubt the more agile singer with a greater range, but what his voice forever lacks is the warm authority of Coverdale's. When Hughes sings Burn (the parts he did not sing originally) or Mistreated (on which he did not sing at all except for a few ooohs and aaahs at the end), he hits all the notes, but none of Coverdale's emotion. Hughes' vocal acrobatics quickly get on women's nerves for instance, but they swoon at Coverdale's rich baritone.

Re your question Terr: Yup, they played a couple of new tracks as well, and with aplomb if you discount Coverdale's vocals who struggled on the new stuff especially. I remember "Best Years" and that cracker of a Doug Aldrich riff song where Cov' sings "Over the mountain ...", "Can you hear the wind blow" is the title I believe.

I'm too European to ever not miss the Lord/Marsden/Moody/Murray/Paice line up, but this current line up is better than any other one I've seen in the last 25 WS years. Beach and Aldrich work better as a pair (and keep getting better at it) than Moody/Galley, Galley/Sykes (who was sloppy live), Vandenberg/Campbell (who was bored live, but seems to be happy with  Def Leppard), Vandenberg/Vai (it was horrible to see how Vai was basically taking the piss on WS' music which did not challenge or inspire him) or Vandenberg/DeMartini. It was nice to see that Aldrich has now replaced his solo spot with one where he "duels" with Beach and at one especially entertaining point they even do reverse pastiches of the other guy's styles. All in good humor. That is what I go to concerts for, not to listen to friggin' tapes!!!

The new bass player and the new drummer are no Neil Murray and Ian Paice, but I liked them better than the Sarzo/Aldridge or the Mendoza/Aldridge tandem. I always found Aldridge battering the blues out of WS' music.

Uwe
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:54:56 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:42 PM »
IMHO, WS ceased to be genuine after Sykes joined the band. Nice guy, but his playing always sounded like second-rate Gary Moore to me. I could do without the gyrating, fretboard-tapping, bass-licking silliness that followed - not to mention how they desecrated and re-recorded the older songs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 06:45:13 AM »
Good observation. Moore's influence on Sykes was palpable. To be fair, Sykes has matured a lot since his days as a young man and his day job in a Thin Lizzy tribute band pretending to be Brian Robertson keeps him fed. I'll also give him credit for making 1987 the guitar album that it is. The sound of his guitar on that album is monstrous and Vandenberg/Campbell or Vandenberg/Vai could never replicate it live.

"Bass-licking silliness" - LOL. Rudy Sarzo can be a great bass player, but his "grab hair, lick headstock"-posing was horrible. I saw a comparatively recent Dio live vid, he's luckily stopped doing it though he is still strutting too much for a band like Dio.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Thanks a lot for the Pre-Purple People cd, Uwe! The Government tracks are outstanding!!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 04:06:14 AM »
Glad you like it. The quality of young Coverdale's voice explains why as a total unknown he got Gillan's job in 1973 (after Paul Rodgers had preferred his new project Bad Company to Purple, miffed how Purple's management had mentioned his name to the press when he was still deliberating; when Hughes joined DP in 1973, he still did so on the assumption that he would get to sing alongside Rodgers as the DP management presented negotiations with Rodgers as a done deal) based on outdated demos and a pic of himself in a boyscout uniform. When he joined Purple, he was overweight and cross-sighted. Purple's management and ever image-conscious Blackmore, eager to have a goodlooking guy follow angelic Ian Gillan, force-fed him slimming pills (with psychological ill-effects like mood swings etc) and had his eyes treated surgically in time for the first press pics (where Coverdale is still wearing glasses following the operation).

It was Ian Paice who noticed Coverdale's voice in the deluge of demo tapes that flooded Purple's management offices. He also picked him up at the train station (Coverdale was from "up north"), fittingly in a purple E-Type Paice called his own back then.

Actually, it was a case of the postman ringing twice with Coverdale: While DP were touring the north of England in 1969 still with their first line-up singer Rod Evans, Coverdale's band The Government opened for them one night and Purple were impressed enough to take his telephone number down just in case their then new singer waiting in the aisles (unbeknownst to Rod Evans), a guy called Ian Gillan, should not work out. Well, Gillan did work out and went on to front the legendary and record sales-amassing Mk II version of DP, but Coverdale's second chance came when Gillan handed in his notice in 1972 (he honored touring committments and stayed on for almost another year). By then, DP had forgotten the telephone number incident, but Coverdale's voice still grabbed their attention. Other singers (besides the above-mentioned Paul Rodgers) Purple were considering at the time were John Lawton (of Lucifer's Friend/German middle of the road act Les Humphries Singers, later on with Uriah Heep), Jess Rhoden and even Graham Bonnet (later on with Rainbow).

Uwe
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:51:52 AM by uwe »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »
I have the unauthorized WHITESNAKE book somewhere with a lotta this sort of info.
Hope someone hasn't stolen it.

Here's something you old Coverdale fans may like--MISTREATED 2006:

Sounds pretty goood for a glampa, huh? hahaaa

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »
According to The Pulse of Radio, David Coverdale says he told Jimmy Page to back off on trying to reunite LED ZEPPELIN for a world tour and record a band album with superstar guest vocalists. Coverdale, who teamed up with Page for the short-lived 1993 COVERDALE-PAGE album and tour, explained to Uncut, "My suggestion to him when I saw him in the summer was to do what Carlos Santana did with 'Supernatural'. Get a selection of people in, because there's no question John Paul Jones writes f***ing kick-ass music. I said Joe Elliott and me would come in and do a track rather than the focus be on one person."

He went on to say, "Will people be willing to see three-quarters of the family with a guest — a cousin twice removed? I'm as curious as anyone to see how it works out... Change is good as long as you f***ing deliver. I hope it comes together for him because, Jesus, he deserves it."

Coverdale says that his most cherished collaboration was his 1993 team-up with Page, which led him to rethink how he chooses guitarists. "When I worked with Jimmy Page, that was totally inspiring for me, and you can hear that on the COVERDALE-PAGE album," he said. "And that was a great parameter for me to look at. The only people I would be prepared to work with are ones who would, who I'd feel could drive me, inspire me to go for notes I've never gone for before."

Gee Dave, nice of you to offer your services!

http://www.youtube.com/v/ndnBVty054A&hl=en&fs=1

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
Coverdale says that his most cherished collaboration was his 1993 team-up with Page, which led him to rethink how he chooses guitarists.

Huh? What's changed? From Sykes onward, his guitarists of choice have been been a bunch of widdly-widdly hair farmers. Reb Belch??? Adrian Hindenburg? Where's Bernie Marsden when you need him?

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 04:32:08 AM »
Where's Bernie Marsden when you need him?

Eating pie.   :mrgreen:

Seein' Reb perform in an isolated booth at NAMM last year was the highlight of the 4 day weekend for me. I was inside the booth with him, Kip Winger & 4 others.
That's about as intimate as you can get with a Rocker without bein' a groupie.
He SHREDS!!! He's a very humble & casual guy too.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 04:35:04 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »
We did a support for Whitesnake the other day.
I was a  great experience for us. The place was packed and we got a good response from the crowd.

Mr. Coverdale his voice was pretty shot on this last day of the tour... on some songs his voice sounded very good and on other parts... well like Uwe said; too good to be true

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »
Congratulations, man! Glad to hear you & your band went down well!

Sad to hear DC get bad reviews. Alas
Mighty glad he's still ROCKIN' tho!