Author Topic: here it is the new EB Bass!  (Read 16507 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: here it is the new EB Bass!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
it looks better upside down which would be handy for me as i play a right handed bass left handed.not that i expect to see one over here anytime soon.the pickups are an interesting turn of events..
Louder bass!.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
Why, is there an empty chair around someone is talking to and can Obama be blamed for how it turned out?  :mrgreen:

Touche.

That, Sir, is one very snappy comeback.

I bow to you.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:54:15 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »
I like the natural fin...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
Mr. Chairman of the board of Gibson

stop making stupid things!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need
1) truly '60 Thunderbird reissue (no 3 point bridge and we need chrome everywhere possible)
2) truly EB-6 reissue (at least I personally need)
3) what about a truly EB-1 reissue? you will have my money at once
4) do we ask too much if I call for a '60 EB-3 reissue with the Jack Bruce modification to the varitone?
5) finally would you give us a moog equipped RD? I do not think it is so difficult considering technological improvements.

BUT

please refrain making  such bastard things!!!
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »
I like the white one.

Is this the first time Gibson has sold basses with tort pickguards?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
It looks like Gary's Holy Crap bass.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
It looks like Gary's Holy Crap bass.

:thumbsup:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
It's the first new Gibson bass I've been interested in in many years. I'm excited about it even if no one else is. Hopefully a local store will stock at least one so I can try it out. Unfortunately buying one is not on the menu anytime soon; I'll wait for a used one.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
There is still life in him after all, even Dave can be tempted! Celebrations in Nashville to commence shortly.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 02:25:35 AM »
I really hate being a picky so-and-so, and I applaud Gibson for once again trying something new, but it's nae bonnie, is it?  I think my IV looks nicer than that, and the IV looks like it was designed in the dark by three committees who were not permitted to share information.

It's not all bad though - the smaller tuners are a good thing after those ridiculous Grover elephant ears (even bigger and goofier looking than the Schallers they replaced).  The pickguard is multiple ply which I think looks much smarter than single ply.  The pickup switching sounds interesting.

But I don't think I'll partake, ta.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:26 AM »
Hey at least they tried to come up with something new, instead of half heartedly ruminating their past...  :-\

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »
As a new Gibson model i think it's quite nice. However, they use the first electric bass model name once again though it's nowhere near a '53 EB. OTOH they've made reissues of a model that never existed. Gibson have had their bass production history sucked into a black hole I guess.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »
As a new Gibson model i think it's quite nice. However, they use the first electric bass model name once again though it's nowhere near a '53 EB. OTOH they've made reissues of a model that never existed. Gibson have had their bass production history sucked into a black hole I guess.

Reissue of a model that never existed.   That's funny because it's both absurd and true. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 06:32:53 AM »

Reissue of a model that never existed.   That's funny because it's both absurd and true. 

Epiphone tried to resurrect the Embassy, which was nothing like the originals.  Reliving a memory, I guess.  Car manufacturers are jumping on that bandwagon.  There seems to be an increase in old model names with new looks.  The newer Chrysler Town and Country models are not what they were in the '60s.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
Well, I am glad they are trying something.  For years they just conceded the Not-A-Fender market to mass builders like Yamaha, Ibanez, etc, and all those guys ever did, and do, is regurgitate a vaguely Fenderoid bass with whatever had become hip layered in there. So this is a Fenderoid bass with Stinkrayish pups.  That is what people want, and kind of what you would expect from Schecter, Ibanez, etc.  The old school headstock is fine.  I may be more intrigued by the pygmy EB2 than this, but it may be nice.  I prefer a more Gibsony tailpiece.  But I would only buy one used and cheap, which is where these are headed anyway, so good.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.