Author Topic: New Gibson Basses!  (Read 17210 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: New Gibson Basses!
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
Not I!! I love the look of my blacked-out bird. I do have chrome on most of my basses, but that may be changing soon.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »
I have confidence in Henry that we will al be disappointed.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Those photoshops always make me feel all funny inside - especially that goldtop.  Wow

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
A (photoshopped) short scale Thunderbird and a normal Thunderbird:

I bet the neck dive is gone with the shorty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
looks like a Mando bird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
If the neck is not pulled out of the body by, say, three more frets, it's pretty much a pointless exercise. It would even then still be shorter and balance better than a long scale Bird as a short scale loses the first three - widest located  - frets and the three frets it would gain would be in the upper register and much narrower in location to another.

But it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
 I stopped by the House again today to get more info. First the pictures I saw are representative of the models to come out not actual new product.  The EB11 will have a minibucker, at least as it is specked out now, I doubt it will have banjo tuners or the black muddy cover, most likely  chrome covers with chrome clover leaf tuners. I think I will like how that looks ! I was curious on the body material for the V and Explorer, both are listed as mahogany, one can only hope. I guess time will tell.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »
Well, one of my future experimental builds will be a 30" scale TB, but it will be hollow and have chrome pups (or maybe just one).   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »
I stopped by the House again today to get more info. First the pictures I saw are representative of the models to come out not actual new product.  The EB11 will have a minibucker, at least as it is specked out now, I doubt it will have banjo tuners or the black muddy cover, most likely  chrome covers with chrome clover leaf tuners. I think I will like how that looks ! I was curious on the body material for the V and Explorer, both are listed as mahogany, one can only hope. I guess time will tell.

Yeah, I called Kurt awhile ago to chat with him about THEM.  I think I could get into one of the EB11s in blue!  I'm thinking about it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
If the neck is not pulled out of the body by, say, three more frets, it's pretty much a pointless exercise. It would even then still be shorter and balance better than a long scale Bird as a short scale loses the first three - widest located  - frets and the three frets it would gain would be in the upper register and much narrower in location to another.

It's actually two frets Uwe. If you take a long scale fretboard and saw it off at the second fret you have a short scale (the former second fret becomes the nut).
That's what I did in the photoshopped version. Plus -of course- I put the bridge further forward.

And yeah, it does make sense to grab to opportunity to gain some upper fret acces.
Let's see if I can rework the photoshopped shortbird...
back in a minute!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
 I'm going for the EB11 and a V, if they do a decent job on them.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2011, 01:07:12 PM »
I stopped by the House again today to get more info. First the pictures I saw are representative of the models to come out not actual new product.  The EB11 will have a minibucker, at least as it is specked out now, I doubt it will have banjo tuners or the black muddy cover, most likely  chrome covers with chrome clover leaf tuners. I think I will like how that looks ! I was curious on the body material for the V and Explorer, both are listed as mahogany, one can only hope. I guess time will tell.

Duh - now I'm getting it! That wasn't a pic of the EB 11 you posted here at all, but of a vintage one. Why did no one keep me from writing silly things then?  :-[ Bunch of friends you are.

The short scale TB, btw, is already on offer in some places (also in Germany). Judging from the prices in the UK and Germany, the American street price should be along the lines of what they asked for the Studio TBs. My hunch is it will not be neck thru but set neck then. A TBird for girls and beginners. Comes with a gig bag, not a case which indicates that it will be a budget-oriented model. Here's a Brit dealer offering it, albeit with a pic obviously depicting a long scale model.  :-\

http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-guitars/pid20108/cid560/gibson-thunderbird-short-scale-in-satin-ebony.asp

My countrymen are more honest and don't pretend to have a pic of it just yet. However they claim it will be neck thru ("durchgehender Hals"):

http://www.soundland.de/catalog/short-scales/gibson-thunderbird-short-scale-p-268642.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:18:50 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »
Since it's available for order on a website, at least we know the short scale Bird will make it into production, right? Just like the Continental V!   :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Since it's available for order on a website, at least we know the short scale Bird will make it into production, right? Just like the Continental V!   :P

Ouch, some people never forget!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
Ah, Dave, you certainly have a talent to ...

In any case, vee must haff that zat Köntinental Vee one day ...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:28:29 PM by uwe »