Author Topic: New Gibson Basses!  (Read 17180 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Re: New Gibson Basses!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 12:15:25 AM »
Somehow I never envisioned a TB as a short scale. It always seemed to command the long scale and somehow the fact that you had to reach a little extra one had to strike a pose so to speak. I generally sit when I play now and everything is fine except I have to stretch a little. However I'll be interested to see if they adjust the headstock size. I thought Mike Lull made 'correct' changes to his Thunderbird headstock(maybe also as that was part of his signature).
It would also be nice if Gibson came up with some new pick ups as well. The TB+ are fine but something a bit different for these. I would like to see a new update on the LP Sig as well with a slimmer neck and a pickup that would be something that the Epi JC Sig aspired to but somehow never achieved. This would be Gibson's big chance to come up with the ultimate hollow bodied bass.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 04:24:48 AM »
Scott - did you say a gold-top LP Bass too?  If so, do you know what pup's Gibson is using for this?
Yep gold top LP Don't know the pickups, I'll try and get more info. They showed me the pics and specs on the 'puter a lot to absorb in a few min. I'll see if I can get them to print it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:50 AM »
Somehow I never envisioned a TB as a short scale. It would also be nice if Gibson came up with some new pick ups as well. The TB+ are fine but something a bit different for these.

If they come up with a well proportioned TB shorty with chrome Elephant Ears and PUP-covers I'll take a hammer to my piggy bank for sure .....  8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:18:45 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23:24 AM »
I'm still rubbing my eyes that in 2011 they are bringing out a bass with the bar bridge which was already less than state of the art 58 years ago!  :mrgreen:

All you vintage accuracy buffs here should be ecstatic. To me it is as if Volvo brought out a new V 70 lauding its "vintage rigid axle". I think independent wheel suspension is the superior concept ...  (walks off under boohs and shrieks of disgust of the stunned audience ...).

But I'm not complaining. As reactions in this forum show, Gibson have obviously found a niche with this model and that is a good thing.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
One could argue that the 3 point was less than state of the art (the inability to EASILY adjust individual string height) when it was intro'd around 40 years ago and it is still being utilized.

...if one were the arguing type ;D

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
Remember that site that Daniel posted several years ago?- Looks like they had a look as well.

These are photoshops-

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:55 AM »
One could argue that the 3 point was less than state of the art (the inability to EASILY adjust individual string height) when it was intro'd around 40 years ago and it is still being utilized.

:popcorn:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:28 AM »

I'm not even ignoring this but will bail out of the discussion right now!  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
The original is a mudbucker not a single coil, the cover is plastic not bakelite.  

You're right! I was thinkin' of the EB1 pickup  :-[

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »
I'm very curious!

Kevin_bluebass

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »
As soon as I saw this thread I couldn't stop drooling... But so far this thread is the only place to have mentioned these new Gibby beauties. I really hope these are real!
Gibson may finally be paying attention to us!

Kevin_bluebass

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
Btw of the short scale Tbird is in fact real and available in Kerry green this years gonna be expensive!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
It's being hinted at here, read the cryptic, but mouthwatering cliffhanger posting of the Gibson Customer Service Team Member:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61989-gibson-coming-out-with-any-new-basses-for-2011/

Who knows, someone might have actually surfed a little through our postings here and gotten an impression. As Gibson Bass forums go, we are the empirical Holy Grail together with the befriended site of Jules http://forums.vintageguitars.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19 though Jules' site has more of a vintage focus (albeit one that is shifting to current models, inclusion of the 20/20 was a symptom AND a call to arms!!!).

Only here can a man still say how nice black hardware actually is!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:23:57 AM by uwe »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »

Only here can a man still say how nice black hardware actually is!  :mrgreen:

Are we the only two that agree that the black hardware is beautiful??  ???
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »
That's a hundred percent increase already. I thought you had given up the faith, brother!