Author Topic: Useless announcement  (Read 2304 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Useless announcement
« on: April 26, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Having just replied to Dave about how people want to share the tiniest details of their lives on social media, I can now cheerfully commit that egregious error in judgment myself.

I therefore announce publicly that I have broken my third cell phone screen in the past six years. Evidently I have a real gift for dropping any cell phone 30 inches, and despite having it in a light protective case, shattering the screen with great predictability.

I guess this ability is a gift.  Or something.

My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy 6 - which has a Gorilla glass front AND back panel.  It's a great phone, but what evil genius decided that the smart way to build a damn phone was to make the entire thing GLASS????

This is not what I'd call leading genius design, at least not if you think human beings are ever fallible enough to drop something even a few scant inches.

I have therefore ordered a new Motorola Droid Turbo 2, a phone with a guaranteed unbreakable screen because it's NOT glass.  The screen on one of these survived a 900-foot drop. If I can't summon the motor skills to avoid dropping the damn thing a few inches once every two years, maybe I can idiot proof myself with this new model. Fortunately this is a university-contract phone and therefore is relatively inexpensive and covered by my unit's operating budget.

I now shall end this highly important announcement about a major event in my life and return you to lesser events such as world climate change, peace, and balancing the budget.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Useless announcement
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
I'm in Orkney at the moment, doing some photography er... working... :mrgreen:

Did the same thing to my work phone recently... oh well... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 03:49:59 AM »
Wow! That might just be your super power. You guys could be super heros :o
Rick

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 03:59:09 AM »
I hadn't heard of the phone yet but I usually only go shopping for one after I drop mine for the 20th time or so and it inexplicably shatters.  Either that or I forget that it's in the pocket of my swim trunks and I cannonball into a lake/pool.  Or I drop it in a toilet and despite the fact that it dries out and starts working again I can't bring myself to put it anywhere near my face.

I look forward to seeing how I can eventually destroy the new indestructible phone  ;D

In another important life announcement - I was told this morning that there were donuts in the conference room and when I got there they were gone.  >:(

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:42:26 AM »
Wow! That might just be your super power. You guys could be super heros :o
Rick

I......am Phone Destructo Man!!

In another important life announcement - I was told this morning that there were donuts in the conference room and when I got there they were gone.  >:(

It's a plot!  They're out to destroy our American way of life!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:17:01 AM »
cell phones, the real reason of the decline of civilization. we are a nation of zombies who can't walk ten feet without whippin' out the phone to amuse ourselves. pathetic, really. :rolleyes:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
I dunno, there's that satisfaction in....whippin' it out!

Just ask the new sheriff...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:01:06 AM »
Unbreakable screen - cool. Verizon only - not cool.

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
I'm gifted with the ability to loose my mobile phones. I've lost four in five years
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:18:18 AM »
"Or I drop it in a toilet ..."

Been there, done that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:08:24 PM »
Unbreakable screen - cool. Verizon only - not cool.

It's a university phone and Verizon is the contract. I have no beef with Verizon, their service has been consistently good.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
It's a university phone and Verizon is the contract. I have no beef with Verizon, their service has been consistently good.

I don't either, it's just that I've been with T-Mobile since day 1 and haven't had a single problem.  :)