Author Topic: Pelham Blue Thunderbird.  (Read 2237 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Pelham Blue Thunderbird.
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Haven't seen anyone post this yet. If so, sorry and feel free to delete this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140787294180

This thing looks pretty awesome IMO. He's unsure if it's a refinish or not but it looks pretty legit to me. I'm sure some of you guys are better at spotting the refins than I am. Regardless if it's the original finish or not, I think it looks perfect. Not too sure about the pickups though but I guess it's cool if it hasn't been rerouted.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Pelham Blue Thunderbird.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:54:38 AM »
I think it are sawn of Jazz pickups. Just put some NOS covers in it.. Great bass! It has to be restored by someone!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »

I do like the color, Pelham Blue really looks great on T Birds. I think the seller is pretty straight up about it as well............Would I buy it? Probably not.
 Restoration with '76 pups (Which I like!) would be spendy and difficult, OTOH making it a "player" with aftermarket pups would be a viable alternative. Under any circumstances for me that Supertone would go  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
Looks like a pretty good fin on it. If it was refinished...It was done a long time ago and you could probably restore it to full on all original parts and have a cool bass....Was the headstock busted??? ????? If I was into it, I'd for sure find a way to buy it...get original 1976 T bird pickups, etc...
  the '76 Birds are cool...they do have a sound of their own...although when compared to a real 63-69 T birds, they are kinda limp.....But...Still...a cool bass!!! Better than those NEW ONES!!! HA!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:34:59 AM »
   Man that thing is climbing! I like my unbroken black '77 for $800 bucks much better  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
Wouldn't a factory Pelham Blue have aged to a greenish shade by now, especially on one that obviously hasn't been a case queen? More likely it's an older non-Gibson refin.

Friend of mine got $1500 (IIRC) for his yellow and black refin Bicentennial a year or two ago, someone before him had put two J pickups in, but he still had the original pickups and reinstalled them before selling. And his had the original bridge. This one's already at $1224 without those. Too high.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
This one has been for sale before and it went for much more $$$ than I thought it would back then. IIRC it went for less than it has been bid up to now. I think it went for around $1000 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure it was refered to as a refin last time it sold on ebay.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
I remember the same as Nokturnal. This was on ebay maybe two years ago and was in L.A. Though I thought the guy was representing it as "probably" the original finish. Easy to remember that color with the Hipshot bridge and EMGs. I believe it had a black pickguard at the time that the owner said he had changed. I also think it went in the $1K range IIRC.