Author Topic: Bachbird fit in this case?  (Read 2286 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Bachbird fit in this case?
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:31:46 AM »
I think the Bachbird is 51" (I don't have mine on me so I can't check for sure) and I found this case on Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Epiphone-Case-Epiphone-ThunderBird-Bass-/160590678713?pt=Guitar&hash=item2563f34ab9#ht_576wt_1056 and I was wondering if it will fit. It says that the case length is 51" but I'm not sure if that is the interior or exterior length. It says
The Thunderbird Hardshell Case #39
. Is this some sort of model number maybe? Does anyone know for sure it the Bachbird will fit in it? Thanks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Bachbird fit in this case?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:37:29 AM »
I have the same case for my BaCHbird. But I did have to take out the shaped interior and turn it around and reshape it a little but.
Now it's a snug fit.
The case is kinda heavy.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
Cool, I just ordered the same case online. I got a good deal on it too, it was used for $38.99 plus $9.99 for shipping. Let's hope it fits and the seller knows what they are talking about when they described it.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:37:28 AM »
I think there are different size Epi T-bird cases. I have both a fitted case and a generic case and my BaCH would fit in neither. The case I ended up using was, I suspect, an Explorer case. It's HUGE! Because of the angle of the headstock the depth of the case made for a really snug fit as the bass had to angle slightly upwards from the body to the headstock. It's tight but it's not moving around!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
Yeah, I know there are multiple different Epi Thunderbird cases out there. I always ask about the dimensions when they pop up on Ebay and most of them seem to be 48 inches. I've heard that they make a longer one too that was 51 inches so I'm assuming this is it. At least I hope it is. I can't imagine they make three different sizes but with my luck they probably do. We'll find out soon enough though.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »
Yeah, I know there are multiple different Epi Thunderbird cases out there. I always ask about the dimensions when they pop up on Ebay and most of them seem to be 48 inches. I've heard that they make a longer one too that was 51 inches so I'm assuming this is it. At least I hope it is. I can't imagine they make three different sizes but with my luck they probably do. We'll find out soon enough though.

You are right about most of them being around 48 inches long, which is WAY too short. You are wise to ask the length on them!
Since the BaCHs come in at 51.5" they are about the longest basses other than the Scroll basses. The unfitted case I have is also a lot wider than a T-bird case so I assumed it was for an Explorer.
Keep us posted!
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
As an FYI, here are some comparison pics.

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=3128.0
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
I have a 51" Exterior Dimension Epi TBird case.  It had an Epi bolt on Bird in it when I got it.  This is the same model EKL case that Denis sent me his Fenderbird in.  Bachs won't fit in it, they're about 1 1/2 inch too long.  Orville by Gibson Reverse fits very tightly but '60 Reverse fits easily.

I have an original 70s Thunderbird RI case, fits ALL TBirds but you'd have to rearrange the foam for an NR.  Ditto the current Gibson case for the USA Thunderbird.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »
That was a different case, if I remember correctly. The one I sent the Fenderbird in was an unfitted Ep-T-bird case. The Fenderbird fit in it because it's shorter than a T-bird, mostly because of the shorter headstock.

For comparison, see the pic below.

Left to right: Epi T-bird case, Victory case, '74 P-bass case, G&L molded case, Epi case for the NR, two Ripper cases. It's 4 inches longer than any of the other ones. I believe it was intended as an Explorer bass case. The body cavity was square and even the NR slid around a bit, with several inches of open space on all sides.
Clocks.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
God damn it, I already bought it. Great, now I'm going to have send it back or resell it. F*&k!!!

On another note: Whoa, yeah, that Explorer case is HUGE!!!

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
Wait until it shows up because you never know. One guy shipped me a T-bird case, BUT it was actually a Firebird case and stupid me never thought to ask for the dimension beforehand...
Clocks.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
When I tried, my Bachbird was actually longer than my entire Epi case, inside and out. Epi case sure fits my JAEbird snugly though...
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
Oh, on another, related note, the Japanese Epi T-bird case (and Orville cases I assume) are different still: deeper with different formed shape.
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
Oh, on another, related note, the Japanese Epi T-bird case (and Orville cases I assume) are different still: deeper with different formed shape.

My '89 Orville only came with an OEM gig bag.  The Epi case I have isn't completely form fitting, just around the lower horn.  Its 5" deep.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
Hmm, interesting. The formed Epi case for the Korean T-bird I have is fully formed. Maybe they kept trying to get it right! The Jap Epi case is fully formed as well. It's a really nice case too. This reminds me that I haven't messed with the T-bird in a while...
Clocks.