Author Topic: SSB4 Pickups with Gibson Thunderbird chrome covers???  (Read 1486 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
SSB4 Pickups with Gibson Thunderbird chrome covers???
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
I know a bunch of people on here have a Bachbird and a few of you have tried the Seymour Duncan SSB4 pickups but I was wondering if anyone on here had successfully removed the plastic covers from a pair of SSB4 pickups and put them in vintage Gibson chrome Thunderbird pickups? I'm about to have someone do that for me and I wanted to know if anyone else on here had done it yet. I'm not sure, but I think someone on here had kept the plastic covers on and just grinded the corners down so the chrome covers would fit over the pickups. Or maybe that was with the Artec pickups? I can't remember.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: SSB4 Pickups with Gibson Thunderbird chrome covers???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
I've done the grind down method on a pair of black Gibson TB+ pups. I think Basvarken did the Artec thing on his Bachbird.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:06:03 AM »
That should work, I just checked one with a ThunderBucker cover.

The SDs are designed to use 250k pots and do not like 500k, they act more like switches than pots.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
What should work? Removing the plastic cover or grinding the corners of the plastic cover?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
What should work? Removing the plastic cover or grinding the corners of the plastic cover?
Grind the corners.  Then if necessary sand the long sides with 60 grit until it fits.  It's difficult to peel the cover off the SSB and shouldn't be necessary