Author Topic: Thickness of the Bachbird body?  (Read 4148 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Thickness of the Bachbird body?
« on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
I know that there are some differences in the thickness of the bodies from the first batch of Bachbirds compared to the newer batch but I was wondering if any of you guys know which batch was closer to the original NR birds? I have a brand new red TH-1 and I was wondering how it compared to the originals because the body on mine seems a little thicker than what I remember the originals being but I don't actually have a vintage one of my own to compare it to. I was also thinking that my TH-1 might just seem thicker because it doesn't have the belly contour like the originals. Anyone know for sure?   

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Thickness of the Bachbird body?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »
original NRs are 1 1/4". My black Bach is very close to this, my Cherry like yours is much thicker. I like the thinner bodies much better.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »
While I was measuring Scott was posting. I measured at the body end and just above the neck joint. My old NR is just a bit thicker than 1 1/4". The blue Bach is about a hair thinner at the body end, but a hair thicker at the neck joint. The black Bach is 1 5/16". In Metric terms they would be about 32 and 33 mm. The current Bachs are much thicker. (I sold the TH-2 before I bought the caliper:))

See here:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=434.msg53843;topicseen#msg53843

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:14:05 PM »
I think it's interesting that the BaCH bodies have slight differences between runs. Just like Gibsons had back in the day! I guess you could add the belly contour if you really wanted one, though a refinish would probably be needed to hide the work.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
The newer BaCHs without the relief work well if you don't have a beer gut!  ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 03:43:47 AM »
I saw on another forum that someone added the tummy cut and finished it to match the trans red. He also said the cut and lightweight tuners reduced the weight by about a pound.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »
Is that on TB? I'd like to see that.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »
 1 1/4- 13/8"  seems about right for the mid '60s.  Gibson was making a lot of SG's and EBX's so they probably had quantities of 6/4 stock.  Possibly a similar reason Bach switched to thicker bodies, it's a more common blank size these days.  I'm assuming they don't lay up their bodies but even if they do 8/4 seems to be more common as rough lumber.  Removing that much stock takes more time and you've made some expensive saw dust.  Other customers not familiar w/the original NR would perceive higher value in a thicker body, ala Squier v American Fender.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
Thanks for the link. Going over to read it now!

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »
I'm really liking the TH-1 but I have to say that one thing that really bums me out is the thickness of the body. I know I am being a little nit picky but one of the things I like the most about the originals (which I don't own) is how thin the bodies are. Oh, and the belly contour. It's a great bass but I really wish I would have been able to get one of the blue ones because when I see them compared side by side I really think the blue ones are exactly what I want as far as the thickness and belly contour are concerned. It's hard to tell from the picture and this is getting waaaaay too nit picky, but it almost seems like the routered edges on the red basses is not as accurate as the edges on the blue ones. Can anyone confirm this or are they pretty much the same. Again, I know I am getting a little ocd about this. I just feel like the red ones are thicker, have no contour and the edges are too square. Like it's just a big square piece of wood.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 02:42:44 AM »
Thanx for the link John.
Interesting read. Thanx for promoting numberoneguitars guys!
I didn't know Gotoh has Res-o-Lites for this type of tuner! That is awesome.
I bought a set of GB528 a while ago (for my own build project) and they're excellent.
Now I want those GBR640 too for the BaCHbird.

@ Tambi: don't let the body thickness bother you too much.
The first series were way thicker.
Hey, the upside is the neck dive isn't as severe   ;)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 05:37:44 AM »
I'd replace the tuners on mine simply because the E tuner rattles and I suspect it lets the thing lapse slowly out of tune. I wonder if the Gotoh Lights are direct replacement or if extra holes must be drilled. To be honest, after I added a front strap pin on the heel, I don't find either of mine to be seriously headstock heavy. The suede straps are a big part of this I suspect.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be to sand down the body a bit to try to thin out the thickness. I'm sure it would take a lot of sanding and it will probably be a nightmare. But then again, how many people out there have thinned out a body unintentionally when trying to sand down a finish off of a guitar?

Rob: I'm not too bothered by it, I still love the bass and am glad I bought it but when I see the blue one it does make me a little envious. You know, the grass is always greener......

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 03:55:53 AM »
I see that my baby-blue one is becoming desirable!  :mrgreen:

I think the thinness of that one run contributes to the - very musical - airiness of the sound. While the original Gibson NRs are not thicker, they probably have a denser wood. The phatter newish NRs probably sound bassier.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:03:00 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...