Author Topic: Fender makes a move  (Read 2023 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Fender makes a move
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-fender-sales/fender-revamps-its-electric-guitars-amid-sales-recovery-idUKKBN1JF1RL

Interesting, and sounds like they are more thoughtful about this than Gibson was. I suspect many will want to try the new models. I understand they'er introducing some new colors, too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:19:28 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Fender makes a move
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »
"Fender’s chief rival, Gibson Brands Inc, installed computerized tuning machines on its instruments in 2015, a move that did not go over well with players."

" Fender, by contrast, overhauled instrument details like the feel of the frets under a player’s fingers and the electronics that reproduce the guitar’s sound but skipped digital add-ons. "

Well, from my old guy perspective these are the two most condensed examples of why things are today.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:28:56 PM »
Well yeah, and this:

“We listened very intently to what our customers told us we need to do,” Mooney said, “and their preferences do change over time.”

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
The big change is that all of them now have traditional alnico pickups. None of them did before.

I have no problem with ceramic magnet pickups when the pickup is designed with it in mind (e.g. G&L MFD pickups, Ric Hi-Gains) but taking a pickup designed with alnico rods and substituting steel poles with ceramic magnets below will not nail the original sound. With prices rising, it makes sense to offer alnico pickups so a lot of buyers will be buying with the idea of keeping the stock pickups.

No more rosewood boards either. It's either maple or pau ferro, with most offering one or the other. Looks like only the Player Strat HSS offers a choice of both.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »
Is pau ferro not from the rosewood family? Whatever it is, it's a nice looking wood.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »
Is pau ferro not from the rosewood family? Whatever it is, it's a nice looking wood.

http://www.wood-database.com/pau-ferro/

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »
I believe all of the Dalbergia species are covered by the CITES ban. Pau ferro isn't one of them even though it's sometimes called a rosewood. Like wise with chechen, which Ric has called caribbean rosewood; it's not a true rosewood.