Author Topic: new Epiphone Korina Explorer Bass  (Read 6165 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: new Epiphone Korina Explorer Bass
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »
You're the pegging and studs expert, I would not dare argue.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 05:31:46 PM »
    LOL for once I was hoping for a three point so I  could put a Badbird II of  it!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »
     I had hoped for more from Gibson's effort, they managed to make the Explorer look pedestrian. A Natural gloss finished on that mahogany body would have been stunning, add chrome hardware and you have a instant classic. Instead they opted for a dull tobacoo burst and black hardware.  :puke:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:28:40 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 05:16:27 AM »
Agreed about the flat-boring brownburst but I really wish they would bring the gloss silverburst back. I kick myself for passing up on one years ago.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Explorer-Bass/Specs.aspx

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 05:39:11 AM »
The guitars look nice, and I also am impressed with the Joe Bonamosa Firebird I they are putting out. That's better than any reissue they've been doing for the past few.  As for the bass I like that it's full scale but they did that before.  I'd like one in 30", two point bridge, black plastic cover on a mud bucker, and Kluson banjo tuners.  I might have make my own again.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 07:10:53 AM »
Agreed about the flat-boring brownburst but I really wish they would bring the gloss silverburst back. I kick myself for passing up on one years ago.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Explorer-Bass/Specs.aspx

I'm a sucker for that look - always reminds me of fog at night and I like that - , dug it so much that I bought the Ltd Ed Epi TBird with the same fin so the Gibson Explorer would have a companion! It impresses wimmin no end if you gig with two basses with different shapes, but color matched, they think you have an attention for detail then.  :mrgreen: Sometimes, alas!, I waver in my faith of not collecting for fins ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
   Silverburst  along with Fender's Antigua are two of my least favorite finishes.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
     I had hoped for more from Gibson's effort, they managed to make the Explorer look pedestrian. A Natural gloss finished on that mahogany body would have been stunning, add chrome hardware and you have a instant classic. Instead they opted for a dull tobacoo burst and black hardware.  :puke:

And no pickguard.  :-\ They actually do have chrome hardware. I sometimes wish I had given my former tobacco burst more of a chance. After years with my Les Paul and FenderBird, and a TB+ equipped Bach, I was surprised at the difference in tone with the Explorer. Those other 3 sound very similar, but the Exp was kind of dull for some reason.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
 Opps, my mistake I would have sworn that they had black hardware.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2016, 01:59:06 PM »
I like my korina moderne :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 01:29:46 AM »
Unfortunately, seeing that '58 Explorer site that popped up recently got me into liking explorers more and more.
I always liked the shape, but prefer short scale.

Being short of projects, I got me this epi korina explorer and pulled the neck out. So next for this one is getting an epi EB0 neck.
The pickup cover is just for looks, I'm going black plastic like the original.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 06:19:32 AM »
Unfortunately, seeing that '58 Explorer site that popped up recently got me into liking explorers more and more.

Being short of projects, I got me this epi korina explorer and pulled the neck out. So next for this one is getting an epi EB0 neck.

:popcorn: :popcorn:!!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 06:34:23 AM »
Hey, after all maybe I am not the only one that prefers the 2-on-a-side (or 3-on-a-side! ) classic Gibson headstock on Explorers! :D Cool project!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »

Love it! Short scale will be cool. Looking forward to seeing the progress. 8)

The Epis seem to get that traditional explorer body shape right. Both of the Gibson basses just never looked quite right to me. The 80s ones have that exaggerated angle of the upper horn, and the lower bouts are a lot more angular on both the 80s and recent models. Cool in their own right I suppose, but the Tbird and that original explorer shape is (to me) timeless.

I found my little piece of explorer heaven in this bass (seen w/some pointy siblings)...

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:36:00 PM by chromium »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 05:52:09 AM »
Something's very wrong with the pickguard shape, cutaway side. Why did they have to mess with it?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023