Author Topic: Don Summers' Modified V Bass  (Read 857 times)

Dbsummers

• View Profile
Don Summers' Modified V Bass
« on: December 26, 2023, 05:39:01 PM »
I built the customized Gibson V bass that was the topic of so called fake or illegitimate Flying V basses.
I bought a used short scale EB3 in late 1967 after the custom body Fender Jazz that I played was stolen from our equipment trailer at the Hendrix show in Dallas 2/16/68.
Billy Gibbons had just purchased his 1958 Flying V Gibson, and I was so impressed by the concept that I converted my Jazz to a V body. When it was stolen, I was forced into replacement mode; thus the short scale Gibson.
I can answer any questions about it or use prior to it ending up in John Entwistle's hands.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 12:53:19 PM by Dave W »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Don Summers' Modified V Bass
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 12:55:44 PM »
Hi Don, and welcome.

I recall this short thread from TDPRI.
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/don-summers-of-the-moving-sidewalks.677054/

Dbsummers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 02:33:59 PM »
My first V bass, the Fender Jazz with my custom mahogany body and psychedelic paint job.

Dbsummers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 05:32:52 PM »
My second Gibson short scale V. The one that ended up with John Entwistle.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 05:17:54 AM »
Interesting topic! The Entwistle bass looks well done, and was good enough to fool John!

Did you start with raw mahogany for the body and retain the EB-3 neck?

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 05:48:56 AM »
Welcome !
I’m intrigued by the guitar spinning gizmo !

Dbsummers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 11:35:25 AM »
I am new to this particular format and must have missed something on posting and replying to posts.
My post on the second V bass I included a photo of it, but it is not there. Also, don't see the reply to someone link.

Dbsummers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 11:41:06 AM »
How do I manage file sizes with phots? Don't see options.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 05:03:43 PM »
How do I manage file sizes with phots? Don't see options.

I have to modify mine outside this forum and add them under "Additional Options" at the bottom of the post.  I only succeed in getting about 40% of my photos small enough to post here.  It's continues to be a frustration.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 05:10:30 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2023, 11:56:43 PM »
I am new to this particular format and must have missed something on posting and replying to posts.
My post on the second V bass I included a photo of it, but it is not there. Also, don't see the reply to someone link.

There's no Reply button, just use the Quote button.

To attach a file, just expand the Additional Options, you'll see the Attach box to upload your photo.

If it's too large, just launch Paint (in Windows), drag and drop your image and click on Resize.

Your best option is to have an external hosting account. I recommend signing up for a free account on Imgur. Upload your photos there, then use the BB Codes option and paste the link into your post. You can also edit/resize your images in Imgur.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 05:40:15 AM »
I’ve had good luck with Postimage , there’s an option to resize images for forums.
And the basic plan is free …

https://postimages.org/

It’s straightforward to set up and navigate.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 01:40:34 PM »
I’ve had good luck with Postimage , there’s an option to resize images for forums.
And the basic plan is free …

https://postimages.org/

It’s straightforward to set up and navigate.

Here's what I don't like about PostImage.com...you lose all control of any image you upload.

"With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant PostImage a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content, including embedded (hotlinked) into third-party websites otherwise not affiliated with PostImage. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to PostImage pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content PostImage has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense."

If it's too large, just launch Paint (in Windows), drag and drop your image and click on Resize.

I tried that using the "Resize and skew" function in Paint, but although the number of pixels are reduced the file size stayed the same.  The free program from Irfanview.com (been using it for 15+ years) seems to work better.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:31:05 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 03:17:03 PM »
I’m not too concerned about Postimage using or abusing the images I post on social media. They can fight it out with Facebook and the others that I might have shared the image with. I simply use them for free storage.

I somehow doubt that I am about to become celebrity. I might be somewhat of an institution in some of the downtown venues , but that really doesn’t qualify as much.

And I don’t expect any great change in the immediate future.

Dbsummers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 07:23:30 PM »
Welcome !
[/quo

Full disclosure was given to music store where it was consigned. I'm sure the flow of information was distorted by personnel at the store or maybe the roadie with the Who came in. For years I tried to get in touch with John to give him the back story. If you are a big star this is amost imposble to do through the old school mail.

Dbsummers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2023, 12:19:18 PM »

Welcome !

The original spinning mechanism was rather crude. Two wooden blocks with a bolt between them and a leather harness that held everting to my body. Not very comfortable but it was just a short-term display. A year so later when Billy asked me to make two for the Top, I used something much better. I found small very thin steel ball bearing mechanism like are used for "Lazzy Susan" turntables. Bill had strap maker attached them to the mechanisms for the Legs Video. They were attached to the furry bass and guitars.

Full disclosure was given to music store where it was consigned. I'm sure the flow of information was distorted by personnel at the store or maybe the roadie with the Who came in. For years I tried to get in touch with John to give him the back story. If you are a big star this is amost imposble to do through the old school mail.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 11:25:21 PM by Dave W »