Author Topic: Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice  (Read 7743 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »
Yes of course, but it doesn't make it microphonic, does it?

What, you don't believe in Voodoo??

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
What, you don't believe in Voodoo??

Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum. It is VERY bad.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
Replacement Gibson neck TB+ from a 2014 SG Bass received.
About 9.5K about right for the neck pickup?

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 09:06:06 PM »
BTW here is the interchange between yours truly and Gibson. I suppose at least they responded. Their bass product support is non existent but they did respond after 5 days. Why would this truly useless company not sell replacement pickups for their biggest selling bass, which is still in production? They have the pickups and a way to do the transaction. But instead they simply say- you are on your own and that their warranty is not transferrable, although I was NOT asking for it as a warranty issue.

Me
I have acquired a 2014 Gibson Midtown Signature BASS. Unfortunately, the neck pickup is very badly microphonic. I cannot locate a functioning Gibson importer or distributer in Australia. I assume it will not be covered by warranty as the original owner, who I bought the bass from, did not fill in the card, which is still with the bass. Can I buy a replacement neck pickup from Gibson, please? What is the cost including shipping to Australia, please?

XXXX from Gibson
Hello,

Second-hand purchases are not covered by the warranty – Gibson does not sell bass pickups unfortunately.

Best regards,

XXXX

XXXX, CSR

Customer Service
Gibson Brands, Inc.

1-800-4GIBSON
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:39:14 PM by veebass »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »
BTW here is the interchange between yours truly and Gibson. I suppose at least they responded. Their bass product support is non existent but they did respond after 5 days. Why would this truly useless company not sell replacement pickups for their biggest selling bass, which is still in production?

Me
XXXX from Gibson

Maybe Gibson sold bass pickups separately sometime in the pre-Henry era, but I can't remember a time when they did. The TBird probably sells far more than the models that used the mudbucker-size TB+ and they never sold those separately.

Gibson isn't alone. Some companies don't want to be in the parts business like Fender. At least Gibson sells some pickups and controls for their guitars. Try buying anything like that from MusicMan. They'll exchange part for defective part under warranty but that's it.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
Maybe Gibson sold bass pickups separately sometime in the pre-Henry era, but I can't remember a time when they did. The TBird probably sells far more than the models that used the mudbucker-size TB+ and they never sold those separately.

Gibson isn't alone. Some companies don't want to be in the parts business like Fender. At least Gibson sells some pickups and controls for their guitars. Try buying anything like that from MusicMan. They'll exchange part for defective part under warranty but that's it.

I certainly see more SG Basses around than Gibson TBirds, but you are no doubt right.
I know you can't buy TBird pups either. That was part of my point.
Yes I know about EBMM. R!ckenbacker are useless too and can be extremely unpleasant to boot.
But really is that any reason for Gibson to not support their products?
Imagine a car manufacturer not selling parts for a car that is still in production.

Anyway I have a spare so I don't care now.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 09:49:40 PM »
I understand what you're saying, but cars will need factory replacement parts during their lifespans. Most guitars won't.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
I understand what you're saying, but cars will need factory replacement parts during their lifespans. Most guitars won't.

Except strings and maybe new software for the robo tubers :)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
Except strings and maybe new software for the robo tubers :)

Or Grovers for when the software company goes out of business.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
Or Grovers for when the software company goes out of business.

Speaking of Grovers, the Grovers on the Midtown that is the  subject of this thread does not have "Grover" stamped on the base plate.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »
Speaking of Grovers, the Grovers on the Midtown that is the  subject of this thread does not have "Grover" stamped on the base plate.

They could be Grover copies.

We could ask Grover.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2018, 05:02:21 PM »

I used to be on somewhat friendly terms with the local Gibson repair shop and the tech would get me anything I wanted that was available from Gibson, even Custom Shop parts.  I had to pay full list price, but back then we didn't have nearly as many options as nowadays.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:13 PM »
Maybe Gibson sold bass pickups separately sometime in the pre-Henry era, but I can't remember a time when they did.

I remember seeing a new in box mudbucker-sized Gibby pickup in the display case at a local music store back in the early 80s. I was considering it for an Ibanez V / Fender mongrel I was experimenting with, but wound up with a Model One instead. It may have been an EB-4L version, but I really can't access that part of my memory for sure.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »
I remember seeing a new in box mudbucker-sized Gibby pickup in the display case at a local music store back in the early 80s. I was considering it for an Ibanez V / Fender mongrel I was experimenting with, but wound up with a Model One instead. It may have been an EB-4L version, but I really can't access that part of my memory for sure.

Some years ago I bought a NOS bar bass bridge (the old type, not the tilt-o-rama) on ebay. Bought from UK, shipped in the original Selmer box with part numer and everything.. He also sold some NOS pickups apparently from the same guitar shop, can't remember exactly but think it was at least a mud there. Wanted one, but too expensive. No one seemed to care about the bar bridge, though - got it on my first bid, like $50 or so.

Christine

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
I've never seen Grovers that haven't been stamped, have they been changed for lightweights?