Author Topic: Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice  (Read 7744 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:44:59 PM »
I just received this glorious Midtown Sig (private purchase second hand).

The bass is in really beautiful condition (neck excellent), only issue is that the neck pickup sounds absolutely cr@p. In addition to the note we get a big, distorted echo and a wonderful feedback squeal at volume. Bridge pickup is clear as a bell. Sounds like the neck pickup is microphonic to me. Not quite the NBD I had hoped for.

I have reported it to the seller and at least at this stage he is willing to talk to me about repairing it or taking it back (on the other side of Australia). I would like to keep it if possible.
There is a guy who does wax potting locally, but he says sometimes it doesn't fix the problem. I have a look at the wiring and I will get him to remove the pickup and reinstall it or a replacement (looks a bit awkward in there).

First question.
What is a good replacement pickup at a reasonable price?
Are these ones OK?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allparts-Chrome-Humbucker-Neck-Pickup-for-Gibson-Epiphone-EB-Bass-PU-0416-010/223003028199?epid=1901847354&hash=item33ec042ae7:g:WJYAAOSw6WdXiSp5

Or rhis one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Alnico-5-Sidewinder-Style-Neck-Pickup-for-Gibson-EB-Bass-Etc-PU-EBA-C/223007714870?hash=item33ec4bae36:g:rS8AAOSw-ldZZCi3

Other suggestions?
Where can I get a genuine Gibson pickup?

Does anyone here have an SG Bass neck pickup for sale?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:05:39 AM by veebass »

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:15:31 AM »
I didn't know Artec made a mudbucker rated at 29K. Says it's a sidewinder too. If that's legit, it would sound like a vintage Gibson mudbucker. There's also the DiMarzio model one as an option. I don't think Gibson sells TB+ neck pickups separately. Not sure how the allparts compares. Personally, I'd try to return it and pick up that LPB-1 at Wild Horse in Sydney instead. Good luck either way.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
Beautiful bass. That Artec seems worth trying in my opinion.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
Really nice looking bass. I also think it's worth trying to work with it.  Id try potting the existing pickup first, as you have little to lose.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
Yes, I second that. Try to wax pot it first.
An Artec Mudbucker or any other Mudbucker would not be a correct replacement.
Under the chrome plate there's a TB+, not a genuine sidewinder Mudbucker.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
could it be too close to the strings?

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
I didn't know Artec made a mudbucker rated at 29K. Says it's a sidewinder too. If that's legit, it would sound like a vintage Gibson mudbucker. There's also the DiMarzio model one as an option. I don't think Gibson sells TB+ neck pickups separately. Not sure how the allparts compares. Personally, I'd try to return it and pick up that LPB-1 at Wild Horse in Sydney instead. Good luck either way.

I have two Les Paul Basses- looking for something a little different and this bass is SO pretty.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:21:51 AM »
could it be too close to the strings?

Don't think so- the cover plate is screwed down tight and that effectively sets the height. It would be 5 or 6 mm from the strings by the look of it.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
Thanks guys. Since posting I have heard of a few other Midtown developing microphonic neck pickups over time that were fixed by wax potting. Funny I hadn't heard of it as an issue with the really common SG Bass.

My preference at this stage would be to keep the bass stock. I despair of finding a replacement Gibson pickup. Gibson support in Australia is nil, even if the company does sell these pickups. What a circus that company is. I can't find a major component for a four year old bass. Pathetic! Same component is in one of their biggest selling basses.

So, I think I will have it wax potted and hopefully the seller will pay for that. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Famous last words.

As a reserve, I do have a pair of functioning but dark sounding 2008 TB+s I took out of my TBird when I Chinabuckered it. (Best move ever IMHO.)

I could extract one from it's cover and use it. I believe Mark has done that operation in the past.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
You still ought to try increasing the distance between the pickup and the strings. 5-6 mm may be too close for that pickup.

If that doesn't work, if I were you, I'd get it repaired before putting in a substitute.

As Rob said, that Artec is a mudbucker replacement. Don't buy it unless you're looking for mud. And if you are, IMHO better to spend the extra money and buy a used genuine Gibson mudbucker than put a cheap Korean clone in a real Gibson bass.

AFAIK the Allparts version is still made by Gotoh. Low output, tame sounding. Fine if that's what you're looking for. But neither it nor the Artec are like the TB+ original.

Curtis Novak will make you one that looks like the original and wind it to your preference but his price is over $200 US.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
Thanks guys. Since posting I have heard of a few other Midtown developing microphonic neck pickups over time that were fixed by wax potting. Funny I hadn't heard of it as an issue with the really common SG Bass.

My preference at this stage would be to keep the bass stock. I despair of finding a replacement Gibson pickup. Gibson support in Australia is nil, even if the company does sell these pickups. What a circus that company is. I can't find a major component for a four year old bass. Pathetic! Same component is in one of their biggest selling basses.

So, I think I will have it wax potted and hopefully the seller will pay for that. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Famous last words.

As a reserve, I do have a pair of functioning but dark sounding 2008 TB+s I took out of my TBird when I Chinabuckered it. (Best move ever IMHO.)

I could extract one from it's cover and use it. I believe Mark has done that operation in the past.

You won't be able to use the TB+ from your TBird. Same pickup construction but different dimensions. The coils in the Midtown/SG Bass version are more widely separated.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
Curtis Novak will make you one that looks like the original and wind it to your preference but his price is over $200 US.
Depending on what you're going for and how much you love the way the bass plays, that might be the ticket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vYiNpBAr3Q&ab_channel=CurtisNovak
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
You won't be able to use the TB+ from your TBird. Same pickup construction but different dimensions. The coils in the Midtown/SG Bass version are more widely separated.

Thanks

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
You still ought to try increasing the distance between the pickup and the strings. 5-6 mm may be too close for that pickup.

I had a better look it is probably 7 to 8 mm.

How would you do that? By putting some foam between the top of the pickup and the cover? The pickup doesn't rattle against the inside of the cover- so I guess there is very little that it could be pushed down.

I am thinking about getting the pickup wax potted- given the way the cover works ie screwed to the body and not soldered to the pickup, how would you account for any little gaps between the cover and the pickup causing a problem- felt cut to size?

The advice on the cheap replacements was exactly what I needed to find out BTW, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:08:11 PM by veebass »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 05:02:21 PM »
I had a better look it is probably 7 to 8 mm.

How would you do that? By putting some foam between the top of the pickup and the cover? The pickup doesn't rattle against the inside of the cover- so I guess there is very little that it could be pushed down.

I am thinking about getting the pickup wax potted- given the way the cover works ie screwed to the body and not soldered to the pickup, how would you account for any little gaps between the cover and the pickup causing a problem- felt cut to size?

The advice on the cheap replacements was exactly what I needed to find out BTW, thanks.

If the pickup cover is screwed down as far as it can go, your option would be to raise the action at the bridge, at least to see if distance is the problem.

If there's a gap between the cover and the top of the pickup, you can try felt or foam. If the microphonic response you got is a result of the pickup body rattling or moving, that should solve your problem.