Author Topic: best five sting riffs?  (Read 3270 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: best five sting riffs?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »
Too many strings on that bass, Ari...  ;)

I can appreciate the playing but yeah, I stick with 4 strings. Yesterday I played "ain't no sunshine when she's gone" in D and drop tuned with no problem.
Patman, you're going to want to play my next transcription on your Dano. It involves double stops with an open D and fretting the G string on different positions.
Sorry if we derailed your question wellREDman. Hope your enjoying that fiver.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:14 AM »
At first I thought this was going to be about Police songs!
  oops
Sorry if we derailed your question wellREDman. Hope your enjoying that fiver.
not as much as I was expecting to
thanks for all the suggestions,
what I was after was not so much new music, as a riff that I already knew, just hadn't learned to play, that would take advantage of the Low B. I did find it elsewhere though, wipeout sounds fantasticly  dirty in the lower register :)
Now you can fret E on the 5th fret of the B string instead of playing it open for instance.
Brilliant advice cheers, had fun reworking the fingering on Higher Ground.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
No pun intended but Police songs are fun to rework with a 5'er. You can harmonize the synth pads or do double stops against the parts where there were fretless slurs, like "King of Pain." You need to get out of the "riff" mindset because that's a guitar mindset for melodic phrasing. (-think almost every modern Tool chordal bass part) Use the B string to build harmonies even if you've just doing sustained half notes of roots or second notes an octave lower and the more you get used to it, the easier it will be start phrasing melodically and working it into your regular playing vocabulary. It's also fun because you'll start hearing some neat jazz voicings in a different light. 90's pop and pop country lived by the low B.