Author Topic: Long, Long Way from Home  (Read 1585 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Long, Long Way from Home
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
All,
Can anyone tell me what is accompanying the bassline on this old Foreigner song?

It sounds sort of Moog-ish, but I'm sure that someone here will know some details. It's a great sound (from a band that I really don't care for very much).

Thanks,
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Long, Long Way from Home
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
It's a Hohner D6 Clavinet. Also featured on Led Zep's "Trampled Underfoot". My band does LLWFH without keys - I always play this one on a bass with a bridge pickup (like a J, PJ or T-Bird), using a pick, and play right near the bridge.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
It's a Hohner D6 Clavinet. Also featured on Led Zep's "Trampled Underfoot". My band does LLWFH without keys - I always play this one on a bass with a bridge pickup (like a J, PJ or T-Bird), using a pick, and play right near the bridge.

Thanks for that!
I'd love to hear a post of you playing LLWFH on bass.

Steve

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:43:53 AM »
I love the sound of a clavinet.  Trampled Underfoot is a great track, with clavinet played by JPJ.  JPJ also plays some mean clavinet on Scumbag Blues off the Them Crooked Vultures album from a couple of years ago.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
Are the intro and verse licks of Nutbush Cuty Limits clavinet of Fender Rhodes?  ???

Hard to hear here, they are more prominent on the studio mix.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »
I love the sound of a clavinet.  Trampled Underfoot is a great track, with clavinet played by JPJ.  JPJ also plays some mean clavinet on Scumbag Blues off the Them Crooked Vultures album from a couple of years ago.

Yup - both of those are big hits in this household.
JPJ is a such a creative musician and has been paired with two pretty heavy drummers in in Zep and TCV.
He looks so up-front and happy in TCV, where he always seemed to stay buried in the back during Led Zep shows.