Author Topic: Waterloo!  (Read 7078 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:05 AM »
Björn, the guitarist, has said in an interview that it was a crap guitar, barely playable and with a lousy sound. He couldn't stand using it when playing live, but it looked great for the Eurovision event so he used it.

Ilan is right, it was an epic performance. You knew they would win the minute they started playing.

What made Abba special - apart from Benny's and Björn's songwriting skills which matured over time - were the way Frida's and Agnetha's voices gelled into one. It's reallly hard for me too pick out who sings what and I often catch myself being surprised that Agnetha sings lead in a song when it is actually Frida or vice versa. Their svengali producer Stig Andersson said that much of the studio time was devoted to layering the voices in a way to make it sound like that one supernatural voice ("Dancing Queen" being his prime example), but they could also reporduce it live, those two voices are just a natural match. Neither Frida nor Agnetha sound too convincing when without the other on their solo stuff.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:36:54 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 07:46:46 AM »
Studio tech once told me, back in the 70s, that live they used a keyboard ( called Vocaliser or something like that ) to multiply their voices and make back-up harmonies  .....
Experience is the ultimate teacher

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »
check 3:37-3:47 of that video.  All the guitarist needs is face-paint, and we have Ace Frehly.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Hornisse

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
I love the black block Jazz Bass that Rutger (?) was playing.   LOL about Frehly!!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
It was a 70's thing, holding your Fender J low but angled upwards. I don't know why but many did this. Always made me laugh because playing like this positioned the chrome control plate right where it belongs...

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023