Author Topic: Waterloo!  (Read 7079 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
I never liked Motown to begin with. Or Abba.

Stonewall Jackson's Waterloo, yes.

Chaser001

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »
I never liked Motown to begin with. Or Abba.

Stonewall Jackson's Waterloo, yes.

I'll never know how much I might have liked Motown on my own.  My guess is I was too much of a hard rock person to have ever become deeply intrigued with it. 

Hornisse

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 02:54:17 AM »
I'm more of a Philly Sound guy.  Hence my choices of Anthony Jackson and the late Ronnie Baker.  Oh wait, that's another thread.....

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 06:22:02 AM »
i like motown. the philly sound was too slick and over produced for my tastes.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 07:04:15 AM »
I'm more of a Philly Sound guy.  Hence my choices of Anthony Jackson and the late Ronnie Baker.  Oh wait, that's another thread.....

Anything to get this thread away from Abba.  ;D

I'll never know how much I might have liked Motown on my own.  My guess is I was too much of a hard rock person to have ever become deeply intrigued with it. 

I was already in junior high and playing guitar when Motown first appeared. I was never a hard rock person, just thought it was anti-guitar music, shallow with no substance. It was all about making hits, not making good music. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Chaser001

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 07:59:53 AM »
When I say hard rock, I am speaking more of Cream, Hendrix, Grand Funk Railroad, etc.  Of course Cream could be called blues rock, Hendrix psychedelic rock, and Grand Funk garage rock.  But except for maybe the Beatles, those were the kind of bands I was listening to, not Motown too much.  Also, cover bands I was in played covers by all those bands quite a lot.  I think what I was listening to would be considered mainstream music of the time.  Now that I listen more than I play, I guess things have changed somewhat. 

Hornisse

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
i like motown. the philly sound was too slick and over produced for my tastes.

One of their first hits.

The late great Ronnie Baker on bass.

Anthony Jackson on bass.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »
We're doing a cover version of Waterloo in a sorta punk-ish way, squaring the dotted eighths from the original song. We also do Dancing Queen as a slow ballad that doesn't end well. Dumb lyrics (who wrote that crap?) but nice melody.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
Dumb lyrics (who wrote that crap?)

I've wanted to start a "Dumb Lyrics" thread for years now.  So as to not piss off all the Rush fans, I've refrained.
Talk about something that won't end well...
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Chaser001

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »
I like the lyrics to "The Winner Takes it All."  "The gods may throw the dice; their minds as cold as ice."   In fact, I'd have to say that is my favorite ABBA song. 

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
This is Waterloo for me. And furthermore, it includes a sunset! Plus a guitar sound to die for!!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
Presumably you've never had the misfortune of driving through the area, let alone arriving by train... why do you think they mooved Eurostar... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 04:00:07 PM »
hornisse, those are iffy examples. billy paul is the only one that fits the mold. that nyro/labelle diabetic sweetness is all labelle influenced because laura does not sound like that. the soul survivors. not even close. that's like rare earth on motown.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Hornisse

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »
The Nyro record (Gonna Take A Miracle) was a covers LP she put out in 1971 or so.  It was the only LP she had that was produced by Gamble and Huff.  Just using it as an example.  I like The Originals version of The Bells better anyhow.  I just love Ronnie Bakers thuddy bass on that track though.  I was just using Soul Survivors as an example of the earliest Gamble and Huff production.  Not slick by any means but you are right in saying that some of their later stuff was. 

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
It was girls music. Boys did not *admit liking* ABBA.

Fixed it for you.

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive