Author Topic: Looking for a good factory tour  (Read 1608 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Looking for a good factory tour
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:24:29 AM »
Hey all,

I want to surprise my 17 year old son and take him on a tour of a great guitar/bass factory.  We've both become interested in building and he really appreciates the craftsmanship involved in making great instruments. We enjoy long drives, and we'll work out the logistics to try and see a band while we're wherever we end up.

Since I live in Raleigh, NC, I know I'm not too far (roughly 8 hours) from the Gibson factory tour in Memphis, but I was thinking of something a little more intimate and personal.
I know I can see The Wishbass facility in W-S, NC almost anytime we'd like.  Steve Wishnevsky has offered to show us around and that sounds really cool and we're gonna do it as a day trip.

I've seen video of the PRS factory (is it in New Hampshire or somewhere like that?) and it looks fantastic.

Just wondering if any of you guys have been on tours or have a tour that you would recommend.
Thanks,
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a good factory tour
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:58 AM »
Off-topic, but if I were your son I would vote you for the best dad in this universe!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 05:44:33 AM »
I saw a report on the EBMM factory in a current guitar mag and found that very impressive. But California is probably a bit far away for you guys.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:02:28 AM »
Off-topic, but if I were your son I would vote you for the best dad in this universe!

Thanks, I'm trying (and there's no owner's manual!). He's in his last year of High School, so who knows where he'll be after next summer.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »
If you end up going to the Gibson plant in Nashville maybe you can also hit up the Jerry Jones facility. Don't know if they give tours but it would be cool to see how they make Longhorns.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:50:24 AM »
the PRS facility is outside of Annapolis, MD but they don't do tours anymore.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »

Make the trip to Seattle, come on by Mike Lull's shop.
Not so much factory but then once you're here there's tons of other cool places to go  ;)

It's way cool that you're planning this trip with your son, indeed, you are a thoughtful father.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »

Not so much factory but then once you're here there's tons of other cool places to go  ;)

It's way cool that you're planning this trip with your son, indeed, you are a thoughtful father.   

Not only that, you might be able to line up an interesting T-Bird obsessed tour guide.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »

hmmm...interesting.  Perhaps a ski trip (been promising him Blackcomb/Whistler for years) and then pop on down to Seattle.

This is definitely turning into the most expensive thread I've ever started. I'm going to need an underwriter by the time this is through.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
You could then come over to the UK and join in an elusive "mystery weekend" seeking out mysterious Mr Peter Cook, late of Ealing, West London; ex luthier to the stars (ok, Entwistle, and a few others... :P)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...