Author Topic: Tonefuchs  (Read 7445 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Tonefuchs
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
Just a thought - try and get hold of some countersunk Allen screws - that will look neater, Rob...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 12:24:45 PM »
I've tried to find those. And other solutions but none of hem have the right size thread.
There's two brass inserts in the neck. The screws have got to fit in those inserts.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
He's called Uwe Fuchs, a common German name. The "ton" is just an addition for his instruments.

So, should we say it's a "Fuchton"?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 01:38:39 PM »
I've tried to find those. And other solutions but none of hem have the right size thread.
There's two brass inserts in the neck. The screws have got to fit in those inserts.

pm me the thread size - I have a selection of stainless ones in a very large plastic stackable bin down in the shed... presumed metric
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
Ah, Rob, while you generally enjoy playing with small things and your basses might be midget, your mind is not! Exactly, the cover at the end hides the trussrod which is of the EBMM type, i.e. a wheel in which you caninsert anything with sufficient stiffness.

Hail to Hollands where dams lay low, yet minds soar high!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
Hey Uwe, I like your blue Tonefuchs!
Why didn't he keep the pickguard / controls lay-out from your concept?
And why did he make such a mess of the whole design. It was perfect on your prototype.

But what's with those two screws at the end of the fretboard?

Did Tonefuchs come up with a similar idea that I had on my Brooks bass?
On my bass the last part of the fretboard is the trussrod cover. The 24th fretmarkers are screws.

Rob, Three pickups one knob ...............................I love that !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
@ Scott thanx :)

@ Uwe Thanx. But damn I thought I came up with that myself. Or did Tonefuchs see my "New Challenge" thread ? ;D

@ Kenny thread is 4 mm (which is quite common), but the head is only 6 mm wide.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
@ Uwe Thanx. But damn I thought I came up with that myself. Or did Tonefuchs see my "New Challenge" thread ? ;D

I am going for my 7th year as a full time builder but have been involved in guitar bulding even before, and every builder (professional or hobbbyst) I met during this time have thought about doing that stealth truss rod cover thingy, myself included.

Once I saw it done (one of my friends who I introduced to guitar bulding did it on his first build), I didnt really think much of it. Its cool if it goes with your design, but sometimes I think a stylish TRC is a must on a headstock design.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »
FWIW, Uwe's Tonfuchs was built in 2006.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
@ Kenny thread is 4 mm (which is quite common), but the head is only 6 mm wide.

That's not so common... I found some M4's with varying thread lengths in Pozi and Philips but no Allens - all 7mm across the head - not going to suit...

Found a number of them online but all look like 7mm heads...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
I like the bass - can't say the headstock does much for me.  Looks like a 60's Vox paddle-style headstock that got caught in a door and a chunk broken off.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
I am going for my 7th year as a full time builder but have been involved in guitar bulding even before, and every builder (professional or hobbbyst) I met during this time have thought about doing that stealth truss rod cover thingy, myself included.

Once I saw it done (one of my friends who I introduced to guitar bulding did it on his first build), I didnt really think much of it. Its cool if it goes with your design, but sometimes I think a stylish TRC is a must on a headstock design.

Oh seriously, every builder you've met?  :rolleyes:
Well I have never seen it and that's what counts for me.
It's not just because it goes well with the design. I wanted to come up with a solution for the weakest point on mahogany necks with an angled headstock. Ususally there just is not enough wood left because of the trussrod cavity. They're very vulnerable at that spot.

@ Dave 
Uwe's bass doesn't use the fretboard as a cover as far as I can see.  It looks like his bass has a plastic rectangular cover within the last part of the fretboard, past the 24th fret, that gives access to a MusicMan type truss rod wheel.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
@ Dave 
Uwe's bass doesn't use the fretboard as a cover as far as I can see.  It looks like his bass has a plastic rectangular cover within the last part of the fretboard, past the 24th fret, that gives access to a MusicMan type truss rod wheel.

I think you're right. He didn't say it was part of the fretboard itself.

I haven't seen another like yours. I have seen US Masters basses where the neck extends beyond the end of the fretboard and the truss rod access hole is cut into the end of the neck with no cover.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Oh seriously, every builder you've met?  :rolleyes:
Well I have never seen it and that's what counts for me.
It's not just because it goes well with the design. I wanted to come up with a solution for the weakest point on mahogany necks with an angled headstock. Ususally there just is not enough wood left because of the trussrod cavity. They're very vulnerable at that spot.

I wasn't considering the functionality issue, but you are right. Considering the well know problems of Gibson's angled heads on mahogany necks, I understand your idea to set the truss rod adjustment on the body end of the neck.
And now that I'm having a better look at your design, I see it is actually a genius idea. Because you wanted the neck pickup to be placed right at the end of the fretboard, so if it had a aditional cover beyond the end of the FB then it would've pushed the pickup further from the Mud-zone you were after.
Kuddos on a great idea considering functionality and aesthetic design .

Sorry for the initial bashing on your idea. But I really meant when I said all builders I met have thought of the idea. At least the ones I met and talked to personally.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
When I saw the thread title and read it out aloud, I thought this was a thread about Warwicks.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive