Author Topic: 40 Years ago  (Read 3779 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
40 Years ago
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »

It's hard for me to realize.......40 years ago about this time of year I went to my first concert, 13 years old in the Spring of 1973, it was also my first date, I still remember her name too - Barbie Kost  :)
 For anybody here that's ever wondered how I could turn out the way I did, well, I give a lot of the credit to Alice, there's no time like your first time - His show is the one I judge all others against (others fell so far short! notably Led Zeppelin) it left a lasting impression on me, made only stronger by the likes of Slade and KISS. I remember tickets were the kingly sum of $5.00 apeice, thanks Alice, the memories last!
 I always knew this was the best Alice Cooper albums/ Lineup

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: 40 Years ago
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
I so envy you seeing that tour and that line-up, but maybe it was for the best, after all, I just ain't got the legs...

Had to wait a further two years for the WTMN tour...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
I agree that the original band was the best.  Dennis Dunaway is one of my bass heroes.  I am Sooooooo envious of you getting to see that line-up!  I saw Alice on the Madhouse Rock tour, with Davey Johnstone on guitar.  Still one of the best shows I have ever seen, but I would have died to see the  legendary band that recorded Killer.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:53:17 PM »
My first concert was Alice on the Flush the Fashion tour at the Greek in LA in June, 1980. It may not have been the original band but it was still awesome and left quite a mark in my 15 year old psyche.  

I'm glad you got to have such a twisted experience, Mark! ;)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
My first concert was Status Quo in 1975, at the Hordern Pavillion in Sydney.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
I'll show my age here - my first concert was a church youth group outing.  We saw Iron Butterfly on the In-a-Gadda-da-Vida tour.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:19:23 AM »
Rainbow on their Rising tour 1976 with an hopelessly untalented Australian opening act whose lead guitarist was a midget and played in a schoolboy uniform, I forgot their name as did the rest of the world no doubt. This was the time when I still kept record of the concerts I went to and graded the bands. Rainbow were A- and the opening act was C.  :mrgreen:

There was only ever one Alice Cooper Band and that was what Mark saw, I'm envious!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:23 AM »
My first concert was Alice on the Flush the Fashion tour at the Greek in LA in June, 1980. It may not have been the original band but it was still awesome and left quite a mark in my 15 year old psyche.  

I'm glad you got to have such a twisted experience, Mark! ;)

Wasn't that the band with Nitzinger, Pinera and some other guitar hero semi-god? Dick Wagner, right. I saw those a year later at Cobo Hall, Deeeeetroit.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:35:21 AM »
 What a great first concert! The original ACG was the best I lost interest in Alice after he went off on his own. My first concert was in '72 Wishbone Ash at the Hard Rock Quarry outside Buffalo NY.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:01 AM »
My first concert was at the Chicago's International Amphitheater on August 12, 1966. Although we had seating in row 52 on the main floor we couldn't see the band, couldn't hear the band, which played for less than an hour, I think it was their last tour. The audience was raucous. I think my sister enjoyed it more than I did. I think the name of the band was the Mop-Tops or something like that. In later years we did see some fine bands at that venue.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
Mine was Slade in '74 but the first band (support on that gig) was Home with Laurie Wisefield and Cliff Williams...

There was an odd rumour about Cliff Williams death earlier this week - it probably centred around the death of Neil Smith (not ACG) who passed earlier this month and had a stint with AC/DC in '74 - also played with Rose Tattoo (rip)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
 Slade in '74 sooooooooooo f'ng jealous!
Mine was Slade in '74 but the first band (support on that gig) was Home with Laurie Wisefield and Cliff Williams...

There was an odd rumour about Cliff Williams death earlier this week - it probably centred around the death of Neil Smith (not ACG) who passed earlier this month and had a stint with AC/DC in '74 - also played with Rose Tattoo (rip)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:03 AM »
Wasn't that the band with Nitzinger, Pinera and some other guitar hero semi-god? Dick Wagner, right. I saw those a year later at Cobo Hall, Deeeeetroit.

He had some great session guitars Wagner and the other guy who I forget that played on Lou Reed Live?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 04:06:38 AM »
He had some great session guitars Wagner and the other guy who I forget that played on Lou Reed Live?

Steve Hunter?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31:10 AM »
Yup, they were a classic combo and reputed to play on a lot of Bob Ezrin produced stuff, even when the original Alice Cooper Band still existed.