Author Topic: Epi Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro now on their site ...  (Read 38131 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Epi Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro now on their site ...
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:30 AM »
"Also, tweaking volume levels and the tone control doesn't do a whole lot compared to my others."

That is a very apt point. Versatile it is not. Not even cpmpared tp a TBird which is not exactly a Rainbow of sounds either. Not that anyone playing an Explorer shape bass would be expected to sound versatile! Strap that thing on and you have relinquished all "serious musicianly bassist"-image at once.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
I'm having visions of one of these basses converted to a single pickup T-bird II with a new paint job and chrome. Wonder what spot the neck pickup is in, 60's or modern? Think filling in the bridge pickup route would ruin the sound?

Yeah, this isn't gonna happen. After some discussion it's been determined that seams would eventually appear. So far it seems the only option for a neck through reverse Tbird with a single pickup is to go vintage.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
I had some free time before work the other day, so I decided to see if I could try one of these out. I went to both the GC's I can get to and neither of them had one, or even knew they were available. One of them had a used "gothic" one, (not a Nikki Sixx one) but didn't seem to know anything about the one we're talking about here. Are these things that rare, or is it that I need to go to a bigger city?
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
I had some free time before work the other day, so I decided to see if I could try one of these out. I went to both the GC's I can get to and neither of them had one, or even knew they were available. One of them had a used "gothic" one, (not a Nikki Sixx one) but didn't seem to know anything about the one we're talking about here. Are these things that rare, or is it that I need to go to a bigger city?

They're probably too new yet to be in retail stores.

I've found that GC employees rarely know about a new product before it lands in the store. And sometimes not even after.  :)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
My GC has two of them and has had them for a couple of months.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

pilgrim9

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
I just worked a trade for a brand new sunburst Epi T bird classic, great bass !
If you push something hard enough it must fall over.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
They'd sell more if they weren't called "Epiphone".

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
They'd sell more if they weren't called "Epiphone".

Are you suggesting that they brand their imports with the Gibson name? It might very well help sales but I don't think you'll see it under the present ownership.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »
Honestly, I find the name "Epiphone" lame and not a rock-n-roll guitar brand for me at all.  Vain I guess, but why do so many swap the truss covers?
If Gibson was going to give 80% of the Thunderbird recipe to Epiphone, they should have just made a less expensive Gibby T-bird and fired out the different finishes on those.  I'd also be kinda pissed if I bought a new Tbird for 1600 in October only to see them clear them at 970 for the sake of the 12th fret marker.  I just don't grasp their logic.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
Honestly, I find the name "Epiphone" lame and not a rock-n-roll guitar brand for me at all.  Vain I guess, but why do so many swap the truss covers?
If Gibson was going to give 80% of the Thunderbird recipe to Epiphone, they should have just made a less expensive Gibby T-bird and fired out the different finishes on those.  I'd also be kinda pissed if I bought a new Tbird for 1600 in October only to see them clear them at 970 for the sake of the 12th fret marker.  I just don't grasp their logic.

I don't think Gibson works logically.
Especially not when it comes to basses and how they have marketed them over the years.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
I'll agree that Epiphone isn't a rock-sounding name. OTOH the TRC swapping is all about making it look like a more expensive guitar or bass, not because the name sounds lame.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 01, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
Honestly, I find the name "Epiphone" lame and not a rock-n-roll guitar brand for me at all.

Steve Marriot played an Epiphone. That's validation enough for me. Yeah, I know - Epiphone isn't exactly what it used to be - but neither is Gibson or Fender.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #222 on: January 01, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
I'll agree that Epiphone isn't a rock-sounding name. OTOH the TRC swapping is all about making it look like a more expensive guitar or bass, not because the name sounds lame.

Just like the mindset that sands off Squier headstock decals and replaces them with bogus Fender decals to gain status, all the while looking pious and proclaiming that they are only doing it for personal preference, and would never DREAM of failing to inform a buyer that it's not really a Fender brand bass. 

Yeah, right.  Pull the other one.  :puke:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #223 on: January 01, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

I don't know (or care to) the differences between the same models Squier v Fender, but you'd be very hard pressed to pass an Epi T Bird off as a Gibson. FWIW the one that is the subject of this thread is a great bass in it's own right, I'm hoping they'll offer a finish I like so I can own one. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 01, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
Speaking strictly for myself, I enjoy getting the questions about the cheap basses I gig with, whether it's concerning the look, the sound or both. I leave on whatever name they were born with, unless I've changed the neck or whatever.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter