Author Topic: Ginger Baker critically ill  (Read 8552 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Ginger Baker critically ill
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »
Perineum Tan would be such a great band name.

EEEEEeeeeexxxxxcellent!!!!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
The Burnt Inflamed*** Perineums  sounds a little more metal ...

*** Uwe's edit
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:25:03 PM by uwe »

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
couldnt resist

but maybe youre right

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:06:39 PM by wellREDman »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 04:42:14 PM »
Perineum Tan's debut would of course be monikered "Where the Sun Don't Shine"!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
Ok, let's speak ill of the dead, I'm sure Ginger's more robust humor can take it:

I just read in the CD booklet of Hawkwind's Levitation (1980) how it came that Ginger Baker's stint in the space rockers was as short as it was.

After having endeared himself to his new band mates by taking an extremely vicious dog along on tour which terrorized everyone backstage, Ginger decided that it might be a good idea to bring his old pal Jack (Bruce) into Hawkwind, so to say as "Ginger Baker's Cream of Hawkwind"; he had coincidentally met him during a German TV show and they had reconnected/made up again (for a while ...).

As Hawkwind were already equipped with a bassist named Harvey Bainbridge, this posed a slight problem which Ginger promptly decided to solve in his own inimitable way by badmouthing Harvey as "the worst bass player on earth". When he pressured Hawkwind to fire Harvey, their reaction somewhat backfired; they had Harvey - of all people - inform Ginger of the unanimous band decision that Ginger's services were herewith no longer required. :mrgreen:

Ginger took it with his usual good grace, commenting both benevolently and humbly in the aftermath "the worst bassist on earth fired the best drummer on earth":rimshot:

Darn, so we missed out on Jack Bruce following Lemmy's cowboy booted footsteps and hearing him sing as well as play Silver Machine.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:20:17 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
Only Ginger could have come up with a line like "the worst bassist on earth fired the best drummer on earth." 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2019, 09:57:20 AM »
Ginger was always tactful. And modest.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »
Hawkwind were so dysfunctional as a band, they are a treasure trove for stories like that. But at the same time they just keep on going and have their own inimitable style no matter who plays in the band - they must have had a zillion line-ups and offshoots (Hawklords, Nik Turner, Motörhead).

And one of their strangest collaborations was the recent one with, yup, Mike Batt! They sure have guts.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2019, 03:23:31 PM »
Hawkwind are one of my all time favourites, I'm gutted that the imminent death of my car has forced me to forgo  tickets for their 50th Anniversary shows.(the fact that they're not playing their usual gig locally, which i can blag into makes this worse) 

Ive seen them many many times and they had got a bit "tired"  but on the last tour they were astoundingly good and I am  really pleased that they're having a bit of a renaisance, they were tight as and really tore the roof off.
 a good part of the new lease of life is their new bass player who is really proper good. his style puts me in mind of Cliff Burton and it really really works with the material.

If you like them then take the chance now to see them while they're reinvigorated

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
For some reason the ole hippies hardly ever tour Germany! Probably because Silver Machine gave them the one-hit-wonder stamp here - which doesn't do them any justice, I know.

I shoulda seen them with Stacia!

I also love the Hawklords stuff - Calvert's lyrics put him in a class of his own.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:07:20 PM by uwe »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2019, 12:06:04 AM »
Gotta agree - good band. Saw them two times, had a great time both shows. Ok, Dave is more of a band leader than a front man, but Richard sure can entertain, good drummer!