Author Topic: 20 Spitfire MK IIs found in Burma  (Read 5971 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
20 Spitfire MK IIs found in Burma
« on: April 14, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
I can't believe that I found this by accident before the aviation fans did.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9203822/Spitfires-buried-in-Burma-during-war-to-be-returned-to-UK.html

I guess they expect these to be perfectly preserved.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: 20 Spitfire MK IIs found in Burma
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »

Wow, that's quite a find! It seems nice that they'll go back to the U.K. too.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »
“They were just buried there in transport crates,” Mr Cundall said. “They were waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred. They will be in near perfect condition.”

:o Wow!! I really hope so, that would be amazing to see when you crowbar the first crate.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
 Wow packed in crates! That is so cool. 40ft is pretty deep sure to be some damage. I wonder about crates of spares?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:33:21 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:43:31 AM »
The instructions for their "storage" reputedely came from Mountbatten...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Amazing find. They ought to be in fairly good shape. I'll be surprised if they really are in "near perfect" condition.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:12:56 AM »

Now they can film a remake of "Battle of Britain" proper - No CGI  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »
A concern that's been noted on a WWII site is the state of the original aluminumium and magnesium components...

This is the posting referencing it and those with engineering backgrounds will recognise some of this...

... Contrary to popular belief aluminum does corrode, many will have seen surface corrosion, the dusty bloom and the 'warts' of crystals. What is not seen and needs testing is internal crystallising which weakens structures. Most of the material known as aluminum was actually Duralumin an alloy of aluminum which was not brittle and could be rolled into skins with a higher tensile strength. Rivets were made from magnesium alloy and will be weakened by corrosion. Magnesium alloy was used for lightness and good rivet forming qualities, it has a short life - nobody expected these aircraft to be used for long. All refurbished aircraft have had these rivets removed and replaced with a modern material. When machining magnesium it was without liquid coolant air was used - pick the nice shiny component up and within hours there will be your fingerprints etched like sepia negatives - the acid in your skin will do that. I witnessed two magnesium flashes on the workshop the mag dust hung like cobwebs around the machine, if a labourer did not regularly remove it a spark would set it off and 50 blokes would be tempoarily blinded as as huge 'flashbulb' ignited ...

On an upbeat note, there are considerably more airworthy Spit's now than there were 20/30/40 years back and a number of "gate-guardians" are now up-up-and-away... hopefully many of these will be too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
The article does make note that the planes will need new rivets. It also mentions:

“They were just buried there in transport crates,” Mr Cundall said. “They were waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred. They will be in near perfect condition.”

I have no idea whether that will have been enough to preserve the metal. The composition of the dirt in that particular area will probably have had an impact as well. As as Dave says though, I would be surprised if they come up in anything near perfect shape. I'll be keeping an eye out though. I'm interested to see what develops with this story.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
This is a great discovery & while Spits are nice it's too bad they didn't dig up a few Hurricanes as well
Cheers

BTW somewhere here in AZ I've heard of a P-40B that was wrapped in cosmolien & buried at the end of the War

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
My old man's job in 1945 was to run over the tails of Zeros and other Japanese planes with a tractor.  He also had to dump crates of Arisaka rifles into Tokyo harbor.  They were supposed to break the crates and unwrap each rifle and toss it to the salt, but they figured they would go back and dive down to get them, so they didn't. They were all 17 and 18 years old.  The rifles were packed in creasote and grease, and he believed that they would last forever even down there.  Somebody will find them one of these days.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
my dad brought an arisaka back with him after the war. it was used. i think he might have picked it up at iwo jima because that was one of the last places he was.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
It would be nice if there were some pictures

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
Mission of Burma