Author Topic: 330 pound chimp loose in Kasnsas City  (Read 4627 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: 330 pound chimp loose in Kasnsas City
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 06:32:47 AM »
I'm still looking for one of those, housetrained and good with small children.

Any offers?

Funny they had a small juvenile at the Chicago Shedd Aquarium for a couple of months in a traveling exhibit & this Dragon had the body the size of a Labrador dog. The enclosure was all glass so you could go right up to it. A small toddler was there and started wobbling past the glass, the dragon came running over following the child!

I was thinking of Uwe on an episode of Fatal Attractions where a guy had a pet Nile Monitor that ended up eating his face off & feeding of his body for a week.
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/fatal-attractions-killed-by-a-pet-Komodo-dragon.html

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:39:27 AM by Barklessdog »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 07:37:05 AM »
This link works better:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/fatal-attractions-killed-by-a-pet-komodo-dragon.html

Nile monitors can be zesty and they tend to become ill-tempered as they get older (kind of like all of us). It is not a good idea to actually share your living space with them as this guy did living de facto in a terrarium with his "pets". Who knows how this guy died though, might have been some ritualistic suicide. A nile monitor can bite unpleasantly, but a healthy adult man should always be able to at least flee from it. The way his corpse sat in the corner makes me wonder, looks more like resigning to death than a battle. They might have bitten him and he carried away blood poisoning, not going to a doctor and weakening over a few days.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:44:40 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 09:51:04 AM »
Whats even worse is when an animal is euthenized at a zoo when some idiot climbs into the enclosure & gets attacked.

Agreed! If you choose to go into THEIR environment, you are on your own, buddy!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Who knows how this guy died though, might have been some ritualistic suicide. A nile monitor can bite unpleasantly, but a healthy adult man should always be able to at least flee from it. The way his corpse sat in the corner makes me wonder, looks more like resigning to death than a battle. They might have bitten him and he carried away blood poisoning, not going to a doctor and weakening over a few days.

I've seen the whole episode, and their conclusion was that the guy thought he was invincible because of his workout regimen and immune to infection and was unaware of his weakened state until it was too late. His three cats survived unharmed.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
And so many humans are convinced we're more intelligent than the rest of the animal kingdom! Morons....

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
And so many humans are convinced we're more intelligent than the rest of the animal kingdom! Morons....

On one hand, I want to say we are more intelligent than the rest of the animal kingdom, but brain power only goes so far when thrown into the ring with a wild animal which will do anything to survive.
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »
I've seen the whole episode, and their conclusion was that the guy thought he was invincible because of his workout regimen and immune to infection and was unaware of his weakened state until it was too late. His three cats survived unharmed.

I saw it too and they really never said, or know exactly how he died. Partly I guess too much of his face & internal organs missing & he had been dead for week?

I thought they surmised that he was bitten, got a blood infection, due with the high heat & humidity of his place, caused him to pass out / concussion/ death & the monitor feeding of the corpse?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »
You guys ever watch the Timothy Treadwel movie "Grizzley Man"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLidFrcp5Eo&feature=related

That guy was a super nut - He filmed his girlfriend & his demise from a Grizzly bear.
This a very graphic & violent clip
They said all they found of him was his head, foot and a few body parts.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
... and good with small children.

I believe they prefer them raw... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
You guys ever watch the Timothy Treadwel movie "Grizzley Man"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLidFrcp5Eo&feature=related
That guy was a super nut - He filmed his girlfriend & his demise from a Grizzly bear.
This a very graphic & violent clip
They said all they found of him was his head, foot and a few body parts.

Interesting movie and to be fair to the guy, he got away with it for something like 13 years before he got himself kilt. The interview with the pilot who supplied Treadwell with stores was pretty interesting. When they killed the bear who'd killed Treadwell they found pieces of him and his girlfriend inside, as well as some clothes, about a garbage bag's worth, if I'm not mistaken. They also said the bear which killed them, and they knew which one it was, was different than all the other bears he'd filmed, like there was something not right about him.
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
i guess that bear was partial to 'the other white meat'.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »
they knew which one it was, was different than all the other bears he'd filmed, like there was something not right about him.

From what I remember they said it was an old bear, who like old lions, take easy prey like humans when they are can't catch game anymore.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
I think the old Grizzly just couldn't bear it with this guy anymore. I have sympathy. For the animal. There is only that much crap you can take.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »
I think the old Grizzly just couldn't bear it with this guy anymore. I have sympathy. For the animal. There is only that much crap you can take.
  Couldn't agree more, I know we need to find out as it were but this being one with nature is getting out of hand.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:10:19 PM by Muzikman7 »
Tony

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »
I think relations between humans and Grizzlies benefit hugely by a mile's distance between them.

Why was this guy even allowed in their habitat? Love Werner Herzog's heaffily akzäntet Teutonic narration though. He has a track record of making films about manic-obsessive madmen, they intrigue him.