Author Topic: 20 hours in 1st gear!  (Read 5728 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
20 hours in 1st gear!
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »
Ok, my son has a fender bender with Mom's 2000 Chrysler van (157,700 miles on it!) in Clemson, SC.   The front end is smashed in, radiator destroyed along with cooling fans, AC condenser, tranny cooler, left side running and signal lights,  and bumper, hood and fender.  Looks like a loss on the old girl. But, the Southern boys agree to try to fix her up  so we can limp home. My idea, not theirs!  We install a used cooler, radiator,and fans. We have to hard wire the fans, the original plug was crushed. I had to rewire the left running & turn signal lights.   Took a day to do it all. Also, cut away some of the left fender with a saw for better tire clearance.

Got it all together and no coolant or tranny leaks!  Paid the guys and hit the road. One issue I didn't foresee: the wiring and sensors that control the tyranny shifting was apparently crushed, so it never would shift out of 1st. gear.

So, not being one's to give in, we hit to road on Monday night and drove 5 hours, slept for 7, got back on the road and drove another 15 hours (including food and oil stops) to get home tonight at 9:15 PM.   We covered 800 miles, averaging 45 MPH all in first gear.  the old van was amazing. It never overheated and ran like it didn't even need another gear.   We were really lucky to make it.  Pictures tomorrow!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: 20 hours in 1st gear!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »

Reminds me of National Lampoon's Vacation..............Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Glad you made it back Bill!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:34:06 AM »
 I was wondering where you had been ! Everyone is ok I hope ? Quite a saga ! Yep Vacation is the first thing that came to my mind also.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:38:36 AM »
Good one!  It felt like a National Lampoon trip, that's for sure!  Every time I stopped or started the engine, I had to manually hook up the radiator fans to get them to work!  I felt like I was back in high school trying to keep my old junkers running from day to day!

Did I forget to mention that we were pulling our trailer and the lights quit working a couple miles into the trip?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:55:13 AM »
Yeah you did leave that bit out  :o How many times did the fuzz pull you over ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:05:19 AM »
Well, we were pretty concerned about that since the first 5 hours it was dark and the last 4 also!  8)  We didn't realize it the first 5 hours and assumed they weren't working from the start since I did check signals before I left.

But we saw numerous troopers, it was all Interstate travel, and not one seemed interested.  The weird thing was the brake lights and turn signals worked, but none of the running lights did until you put on the brakes, then the trailer lit up like a Christmas tree!!!  I just didn't have the time to mess with it and thankfully it worked out!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:28:03 AM »
Well, anyone that knows me knows that if you cut me I bleed Chrysler blue. It does my heart good to hear that your Mopar lived up to its pedigree. In 1998, Chrysler was a profitable company with money in the bank. Unfortunately, Daimler put an end to that in an effort to bolster their own sagging reputation and quality. Now we have GM looking to do much the same thing, and kill off a competitor in the process. Not to mention the damage that it will ultimately do to our already shaky economy. The unions are all up in arms because they think that their salaries and health benefits will be cut back (potential layoffs aside).
Wonderful job on all fronts - give yourself a big hand, gang. Give me half an hour and I could come up with 10 better plans than this merger. (steps off soapbox)
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
Yep, I've had 3 Chryslers in a row since 1989 and every one of them was a fine car.  I don't have any complaints!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »
What an adventure.  :-\ 

As for Chrysler, when Daimler was ready to sell I was surprised to see it as an independent company again. With its current lineup I don't see how it can survive without being bought by somebody else. If that somebody else turns out to be GM, they may both become extinct.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 04:30:53 AM »
That's WILD! Glad ya made it home ok, doc.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 05:14:40 AM »
Thanks guys!  I agree Dave, merging with GM is not the best solution either.  I always teach my students that merging two losing entities does not automatically equal a positive result.  You often just have a larger losing entity!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 06:46:08 AM »
I thought all Amercian made cars have just one gear?  ;)

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say they just ride that way!   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:20:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »
I thought all Amercian made cars have just one gear?  ;)

Insert sound of grinding teeth here >:(
If you thought political threads were a bad idea...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 08:21:40 AM »
Insert sound of grinding teeth here >:(
If you thought political threads were a bad idea...

You got to have a sense of humor when dealing with the "kings of over-engineering!"  I don't need no stinking gears!  8)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »
German cars are great. Amphicar, Goggomobil, NSU (home of Felix Wankel), DKW and of course the Italian-designed BMW Isetta.