Author Topic: Proggies rejoice! UK 2011 Reunion (+ a black Victory on a badly lit stage)  (Read 8738 times)

eb2

• View Profile
I had a GTR promo 45 with a picture sleeve.  I don't think I ever played it, but I may have. My best memory of GTR was a review of the lp that said "SHT."  It was probably more cruel than it deserved, but as I recall this was post-Asia, and it seemed like there was a brief festering of bands with guys who were 70s hotshots now playing pop with Miami Vice looks. 

I think early 80s pop was a nice period of catchy memorable music that appealed to a broad segment of the population.  It was even better when prog dinosaurs were involved. Owner Of A Lonely Heart is just as good as Don't You Want Me Baby.  I think it has been many years since the top 10 songs were actually well known, as Howard Stern started to have fun with a while ago.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I like Asia. It's well-crafted in the same way as a Jane Austen novel is well-crafted. Asia are not Bob Dylan, but Jane Austen wasn't John Steinbeck either.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Back in Cleveland prog rock was played on top 40 radio & played in our lunch room at high school along with Zepplin & Alice Cooper. Kids could bring in their records to play during lunch. I remember her Jeff Beck Wired being played a lot as well. We also had a smoking courtyard where students could smoke. Ah, the 70's....

Back then everyone I knew was into ELP, Yes & Kansas. It was a new era of music back then, people liked new things back then, they were open minded.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
I almost feel guilty breaking up the Halford love, but I figured I'd give my 2 pence here. As an LA raised rocker kid I never had much of a taste for the prog stuff. About as close as I got was this album, which was more polished prog pop than King Crimson or ELP, I suppose... 

GTR.... ha ha! 80s arena rock with a couple guys that used to be in prog bands. Jonathan Mover is a great drummer. Singer looks like he just walked off the set of Miami Vice. (OK, let's not talk about some of MY 80s looks...) I read that Howe and Hackett wouldn't even ride in the same limo together.  :-\

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
You've got to grant it to GTR, for a band of two prog hero guitarists, the bass was nicely up in the mix!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
You've got to grant it to GTR, for a band of two prog hero guitarists, the bass was nicely up in the mix!

I noticed that.  ;D