Author Topic: Oh, it must be a 7ender, even if you want something else...  (Read 1108 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
So a buddy posted this on his Facebook page:
"I'm pretty much convinced I need a Danelectro Longhorn Bass...."

Another guy, who I absolutely detest, posted this in reply, " Find a 70s Hondo copy. Worlds better quality and has a p-bass pickup."

Frigging stupid.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Oh, it must be a 7ender, even if you want something else...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
Repeat after me: "Opinions are like as***les...everybody has one."

But for some reason, the ignorant seem focused on sharing their opinions widely.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, what a maroon.

The Hondo is just a solid wood P-bass copy in the shape of a Longhorn. You have to be a complete ignoramus to think it's a substitute for a Dano.

VeloDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:41:30 AM »
Well, you guys are correct about it being basically a P-bass.  And, the Hondo is a solid body long-scale bass whereas most of the Longhorns are hollow body short scales.   

That being said, the Hondo has its aficionados.  Tom Comet, the bass player for Webb Wilder and the Beatnecks uses one frequently with an Orange amp and gets a very nice tone out of it.  He used to use the Hondo as a backup to his Fender Precision, but now the Hondo usually gets the nod and the Precision sits in the backup stand.

I agree that one should not expect a Hondo to sound anything like a Longhorn but there are many worse choices than a Hondo.  Just my $.02...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
I wasn't making any judgment on the tone of the Hondo. Point is, he suggested something that's about as far from lipstick pickup short scale hollowbody masonite Dano tone as possible.