Author Topic: nevermind the credit...  (Read 4301 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: nevermind the credit...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »
Johnny Lydon is more entertaining and interesting than most people, period.  I've never really been a fan of the Sex Pistols or Public Image  LTD, but that isn't really the point.  I like the way he speaks his mind regardless of what other people think. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Oh yeah for sure. Lydon's quite a character. 

I actually thought PIL did some really interesting music... "The Flowers of Romance" is quite experimental and I think succeeds at that.  I lost track of them after that though.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
PIL had more substance than the Pistols ever did.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
PIL & Brian Wilson were both on Jools Holland some time ago.  The way some people were looking, I was half-way expecting someone to go over & beat up Brian Wilson.  He didn't much look like he would have done well in a physical confrontation, either.  Of course, I'm sure I was reading way too much into the body language.  Still, I had a hard time imagining them hanging out with each other very much. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »
Come on, he had musical skills and so had posh spice - they cannot be blamed for being put in a band just for their good looks, ordered to pose for cameras rather than develop other qualities.

Steve Jones has always said that Sid couldn't play, while Malcolm McLaren said Sid was chosen for his appearance, not for any musical ability. And there were the reports by fans of another semi-hidden bass player doing the actual playing on their US tour.

Sid did have at least one musical skill, he could carry a tune. And no doubt he could hit a few notes on bass.

I wouldn't know about posh spice. I don't know one spice girl from another or anything about their music. Guess I wasn't part of their chosen demographic.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
No one knows anything about the Spice Girls' music except for women who were 13 or 14 when they were popular.  George Harrison said the advantage to the Spice Girls is that you could look at them and cut off the sound.  Personally, I have the sound cut off anyway most of the time when I'm watching TV & listen to music from my CD player instead. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:42:56 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 02:42:13 AM »
Nancy "you know who" said in an interview at the time - and she's an expert on the subject - that "Sid playd faster than Phil Lynott whe he was over at our apartment". Two junkies jamming. Lynott was drawn to the Sex Pistols' image.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
Also remember - Sid was a horrible drummer (in the Banshees) before he was a horrible bassist. ... and before that he was, I must assume, a horrible saxophonist/not terrible vocalist in The Flowers of Romance (a proto-Slits group not the Pil Record; came before, but apparently Johnny named them).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
So he was at least consistent!

Glen Matlock got off the boat in time. Befor the Pistols became a circus.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »
Glen Matlock got off the boat in time. Befor the Pistols became a circus.
from what I've read he didnt get a choice.
And he was the one behind the great writing that was actually underneath the trash, which was  the real reason reason they worked, McLarens ego notwithstanding