Author Topic: Hamer Blitz on stage.  (Read 3113 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Hamer Blitz on stage.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
If you wait for the "Hamer is out of business" shock to wear off you should be able to get one for a good price. Seems like that is tapering off just a bit now.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
Mark while the Ibanez is certainly cool and worth a look you could get a Blitz for the same kind of money. My gunmetal blue Kahler Blitz cost me $450, the white pearl cost me $350.

Dang, I might have to set up a saved search on ebay for Hamer Blitz!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »
While carrying a hefty list price Hamers just don't hold value. They are probably the best build quality of the day, certainly surpassing Gibsons, Fenders and Rics offerings. Blitzs are solid Mahogany construction and that is certainly part of the draw for me even with a P/J set up the have a distinctly Thunderbird tone. No two ways about it the bass is BIG, I'm just 6' and have long arms and the bass is almost more than I can manage. I sure feels like a longer stretch than a Non reverse Tbird. I'd love to find a Standard with Dimarzio Humbuckers and a bound maple top, I'm sure that will cost considerably more than a Blitz. Mark or Tom I say if you can find a Blitz I don't think you will be disappointed. One last thing to consider is the width at the nut. It feels more like a P width, not a J or Thunderbird width...............or even a bit like a Ric. For the most part I don't notice it but For certain songs it wouldn't be my first choice because of it. Also the more I play it the less I notice the difference.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:11:11 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
One on Ebay for a lot more than you paid, Scott.  Does have a case, though...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-USA-Blitz-Bass-1984-/191328445018?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160
  That's not band considering it has the case ( my gunmetal blue came with one though) You could always send the seller a offer  ;D This one has Dimarzios which I like.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »
If you wait for the "Hamer is out of business" shock to wear off you should be able to get one for a good price. Seems like that is tapering off just a bit now.
Honestly I don't think anyone has noticed. :sad:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
I'd love to find a Standard with Dimarzio Humbuckers and a bound maple top

You and me both!  I recall reading that there were only ~50 Standard basses produced in all, but don't quote me on it.

I'll just hold out for this one...  :)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »
Here's another, Shame about the headstock repair. Pretty ghastly. No way I'd pay $700 for that.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAMER-USA-1983-BLITZ-BASS-W-OHSC-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-/331320796038?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d24422386

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
I think the drywall screws offer that "custom shop" touch. :P

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »
Pro headstock repair... sponsored by Pabst Blue Ribbon  :P

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
Must be fun accessing the trussrod.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
Well that auction makes me feel better about the cost of my Blitz.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
I played a friend's (fur covered) Blitz recently, and the neck was nice and flat. Felt good. I seemed to remember my Cruisebass (same bass, different shape) being more round, but that was a long time ago.

I too would prefer one routed for humbuckers.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 09:19:44 AM »
people are still breaking guitars in this century? how quaint. you would think there would be a law governing such behavior by now. while smashing a guitar is an embarrassing cliche', not being able to break one is entertainment gold. besides, i always thought it bad form to destroy gear for any alleged entertainment value it may provide, and it never does. for me anyway.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »
I was just a sub for the gig. Smashing a guitar for so few people seems pointless to me but it makes him happy I guess. To each their own.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
You and me both!  I recall reading that there were only ~50 Standard basses produced in all, but don't quote me on it.

I'll just hold out for this one...  :)

Yeah....not a lot of HAMER Standard Basses.  The Blitzes are a nice no frills version. Technically, the neck joint is a little different. It's not simply the lack of a figured top and binding. Also, the Blitzes have the PJ setup and Standards generally do not.

The early 80s HAMER basses generally have mahogany necks in mahogany bodies. They later changed to maple necks.