Author Topic: It Might Get Loud. Gibson bass content!  (Read 981 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
It Might Get Loud. Gibson bass content!
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »
Anybody seen It Might Get Loud? It's a new movie/documentary about the electric guitar with The Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page.

Somewhere in the movie there's some footage about an old guitar store called Stuyvesant guitars. It's about The Edge buying his first Explorer, IIRC. In the shop window (remember, old footage) is an Explorer bass with one mudbucker! The one which is discusses a lot here.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: It Might Get Loud. Gibson bass content!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
Heard a very good review of this movie today on local radio. Guy said that even though he wasn't particularly a fan of Page, White or Evans he found it a very interesting and "fun" movie.  Regarding the fact that it might get loud he says that it didn't but he enjoyed it all the same.
Digresion our specialty!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
i didn't think is was "all that" it was kinda boring and seemed stiff  :bored:
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:31:38 AM »
I liked the movie and I watched it twice within a week. I don't like Page, I don't like The Edge, but I am a big Jack White fan.

The movie isn't an eye opener in any way, but just interesting and fun. I love the small things like this:

The Edge and White looking like a kid getting a new toy and totally in awe when Page plays Whola Lotta Love.
Jack White teaching Edge and Page to play Seven Nation Army. At one point White says to turn of the octavers and Page and Edge both jump to their pedal boards. Just funny:)
Old demo tapes of U2, The Edge asking Page about Kashmir and Page teaching them to play it. A lot of old footage...

Just three guitar players having a lot of fun together...

I imagined what would be the best line up for "It Might Get Low". McCartney, Flea and Tal Wilkenfeld?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:40:30 AM »
Why not Pete Way... don't get much lower slung than that...

Or maybe Lemmy... show 'em how to drink...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:21 AM »
I saw it in theatre and never had the smile leave my face. I also immediately spotted the Korina Explorer with the mudbucker in NY. I really enjoyed the film and need to buy it on DVD/Blu-ray. Then again, I'm a huge guitar nerd like those guys...
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »
I watched it over the weekend even tho' I am not a fan of any of the three's bands. It was interesting to hear the stories of starting to play, and getting that first guitar. White seemed like a poser to me. "The Weight" at the end was fun and ragged.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
My wife ended up with a Jack White CD by default ("Van Lear Rose"), ever the C&W fan...

My daughter likes the White Stripes

Guilty of liking U2 though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
Regarding Page playing his songs with other guitarists, a few months ago I read an interview with Audley Freed talking about when Page was with the Black Crowes. He described his amazement when Page said that he had forgotten how he played a particular passage in one of his songs and asked Freed how he played it. That put a smile on my face for a week afterwards  :)   Firstly I love the honesty of Page in admitting it and secondly the humanisation of a man who has to live on such a high pedestal is refreshing.
Digresion our specialty!