Author Topic: Warning: Cell Phones May Be Hazardous To Your Health  (Read 4445 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Warning: Cell Phones May Be Hazardous To Your Health
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
There's a great article in the Feb. GQ:

www.GQ.com/cars-gear-and-gadgets/201002/warning-cell-phone-radiation

The mag costs 5 bucks but you can read the 5 page article for free!!!!!
I'm sending it around the world to all my friends & family....
Getting rid of my cellphone & cordless phone as the article suggests.

Pass it on....
The life you save may be someone you love!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: Cell Phones May Be Hazardous To Your Health
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
Looks like they don't allow hotlinking but I found the article. Another alarmist piece that repeats stuff that's been debunked. I'm not saying it's impossible, just unproven.

Number of actual clinical studies establishing a link between cell phone radiation and ill health: Zero.

But there is a way to protect yourself.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
Guess I shouldn't reactive my brick afterall :(

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Any radiation is hazardous to an extent. Even though I grew up with everyone my age having a cell phone and texting, I don't use my phone that often to make long class or text which is odd considering I have had a cell phone for 10 years, long before anyone else my age. It is usually sitting next to me when I am home, which is most of the time, otherwise it is in my pocket.

I still wonder how much my wifi router is scrambling my brain considering it is not more than 3 feet from me.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
It's the dose that makes the poison. There's background radiation everywhere.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
An old friend of mine was one of the first to use a cellphone a lot for business & got a brain tumor by the ear he always held his cell to.
Before he died about 10 years ago he warned my circle of friends not to use cellphones.
He was ABSOLUTELY right!
There are many similar tumors being reported now.
Read the whole article! It's very well researched & reported.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »
Looks like they don't allow hotlinking but I found the article. Another alarmist piece that repeats stuff that's been debunked. I'm not saying it's impossible, just unproven.

Number of actual clinical studies establishing a link between cell phone radiation and ill health: Zero.

But there is a way to protect yourself.

Another victory for the aluminum foil hat brigade ;D
Rick

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 06:28:51 AM »
Guess I shouldn't reactive my brick afterall :(

Like Dave said, dose matters. Those old analog bricks were 3 or 4 times more powerful that todays digital phones. The FCC does limit the amount of radiation for cell phones and phone reviews typically state each phones radiation level.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-5020357-1.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-5020356-1.html

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 06:30:34 AM »
Oh, and I am quite certian that cell phones are deadly. People become really bad drivers when talking on a cell phone.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
... especially if you drop it...  :o

If you want to get totally depressed - "Life" is a terminal disease - no one here gets out alive, after all...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
An old friend of mine was one of the first to use a cellphone a lot for business & got a brain tumor by the ear he always held his cell to.
Before he died about 10 years ago he warned my circle of friends not to use cellphones.
He was ABSOLUTELY right!
There are many similar tumors being reported now.
Read the whole article! It's very well researched & reported.

My step-brother-in-law was overweight and out of shape. He dieted and exercised, lost lots of weight, ate healthy, got fit, ran regularly, and did all the right things. He dropped dead of a heart attack while jogging at age 42. DIET AND EXERCISE KILLS!  8)

My point is, correlation is not causation. People who have never used cell phones get brain tumors.

The article is not researched at all. It just repeats scientific-sounding studies that have been debunked. It's mostly a rehash of the same unproven claims we saw years ago.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:30:11 AM by Dave W »

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
Dave Dub has the same attitude as the cellphone industry guys who say that there's nothing to worry about--ridiculing the dangerous facts & anyone who presents them.
This sort of bullying is popular in America. We want our goodies with no worries.
Unfortunately, in the USA we accept what the industry tells us, just as we accepted the tobacco industry & asbestos industry & their claims that we needn't worry.
In other countries research is done independently & therefore people in other countries understand the dangers of cellphones & towers & Wi-fi, so they protest what the greedy companies are trying to do-which is POLLUTE THE WHOLE WORLD!

Soon cellphone users will be forced to go out on patios with smokers & restaurants & clubs will be much more pleasant places to be. :D
They won't be allowed in banks, post offices, etc. either.
Won't that be GREAT?

Then later on in this century workers will be paid extra money to get rid of all traces of cellphone networks & chuck 'em out like asbestos.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »

Soon cellphone users will be forced to go out on patios with smokers & restaurants & clubs will be much more pleasant places to be. :D
They won't be allowed in banks, post offices, etc. either.
Won't that be GREAT?

I very much doubt that.  First, radio waves are present regardless, but the field strength of transmission drops off within inches of the source.  Moving people out of a room would do no more than moving them three feet away.

Second, absent a REAL smoking gun that proves a hazard beyond doubt, no such action would be considered.  There is too much social pressure and convenience attached to the use of cell phones.

IMO cell phones are here to stay.  The most likely next step is not segregation, but building them into articles of clothing such as glasses...and surgical implantation is likely with further miniaturization.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »
"Jacking In..." - Neuromancer - Bill Gibson
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...