Author Topic: Gibson/Bach NR Bird For Sale  (Read 6809 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson/Bach NR Bird For Sale
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
At least the seller started it at only $199. A bidding war for a parts bass. Nice for the seller.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »
I don't understand all the negativity. As far as I can see from looking at the pictures it is a bass in good condition with all the features of a NR Tbird bass, wether it's a Gibson, Greco or BaCH. The price is not sky high.

The pickups are the most vital part and they can either be originals, rewound originals, repro pickups or Greco/Maxon pickup. All of which are excellent.
The pickguard is probably non original. So what. It is close enough in my book.
The neck is probably not a BaCH neck. So what is it then? Most likely a neck made by the luthier who refinned the bass. As far as I can see he did a damn fine job on rebuilding that neck. Wood looks to be mahogany. The only valid reason to build  a new neck for such a bass is if the original neck was damaged beyond repair. I'd prefer a new neck any time over an obliterated neck that has been glued back together like a puzzle.

The body cannot be a Greco, because the Greco's have the three point bridge plus tailpiece. There would have been visible extra holes in this body.
Tailpiece might be one of them repro tailpieces. Nothing wrong with those.

Bass looks to be in good condition. And it comes closer to the real deal than any BaCH.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:06:27 AM »
I'm not knocking the bass; hell, I had put a bid in on it. However, trying to figure out what things are is, to me, interesting because it invites closer study on things I wouldn't normally scrutinize. We do it in the antique motorcycle world all the time. I think the bass is pretty sweet and damn nice looking.

Thinking about it, if the neck IS from a BaCH, another bass or luthier-made, perhaps the inclusion of the serial number was simply to indicate what the serial number of the original was. This one is just a number: did they originally say "Made in USA" in addition to the number like more modern Gibsons?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:41:03 AM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 05:46:01 AM »
I don't understand all the negativity. As far as I can see from looking at the pictures it is a bass in good condition with all the features of a NR Tbird bass, wether it's a Gibson, Greco or BaCH. The price is not sky high.

The seller lists a year of manufacture for the bass and specifically states it's a Gibson with a BaCH neck.

IMO in the best case scenario the seller is ignorant.   At worst he's lying. 

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »
I didn't mean to knock the bass either, just to point out what looks like it isn't Gibson to me.

Earlier this morning I recalled seeing a non-reverse unfinished body and neck on Ebay some time ago. It was advertised as an incomplete copy created by an Ohio luthier. Maybe there is a connection to this bass.

All I'm saying is that if you expect to find a lot of Sixties Gibson hardware on this bass you will probably be disappointed.

On the other hand, it looks like it's a great bass for the current price.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
Not knocking it, no reason to think there's anything wrong with it as a bass, just can't see why anyone would pay a lot for what the buyer represents as a parts bass. It's currently at $998 with 3 1/2 days to go. To me, that's just crazy.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
Way too much for a parts bass with a dubious pedigree.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Thats a REAL 60's Gibson body!Im looking at my 68 right now without the guard on it,and that front pickup wiring channel is spot on!So is the control cavity!That neck is either a greco or orville.Im thinking the later.Pickups are greco as well.Those tuners look exactly like my old Bach bird tuners..So They must be greco or he had them laying around in his parts box..Gibson stopped putting the tug bar on basses after 67.My 68 never had one installed.gotta take that guard off to see if its pre 68.The guard is not original either.COOL bass though! i dont think that price is out of line at all.Find another with a real Gibson body at that price! 8)Also a little FYI..Gibson stopped using nickle and went to chrome parts after 67..So the last 40(or so) TBirds (like my 68)were Chrome adorned.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:48:41 PM by weekend warrior »
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
i dont think that price is out of line at all.Find another with a real Gibson body at that price!

True, because most people don't make parts basses from Gibson bodies intended for set necks. But it's still a parts bass. Wouldn't be worth any more to me than a new Honduras mahogany body unless I could find all the other original parts at a reasonable price.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
You have to like non reverse Tbirds first...I know like you,most guys are thinking..This aint worth shite!But me as a Bird player....with a real 60's non reverse body...
Pretty cool man
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 05:51:38 AM »
I think NRs are pretty hot. I have two BaCHs but someday would like to come across an original. The Holy Grail for me would be an original finish Inverness Green NR.

Anyone here get this one?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:08 AM »
If that  Frankenbass is worth 2013.01 what's an original worth?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05:58 AM »
 Way to much for that bass. :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »
I've seen an original one go for 12.000 USD

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
I've seen an original one go for 12.000 USD

That one isn't worth 1/12 of $12,000 judging by the percentage of original unbutchered parts and the total lack of provable provenance.  Does he actually believe BaCH makes their own proprietary tuners?