Author Topic: Is it just me, or...? (beautiful blonde Rivoli content)  (Read 8772 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Is it just me, or...? (beautiful blonde Rivoli content)
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
The croft I have can only support a small herd; nothing really exotic, with the exclusion of one desireable thoroughbird that I happened upon by accident without even knowing what I had... I've been watching out for a low cost semi for a while since I sold my '68 Marshall but mostly this is looking on from afar...

... but there's no harm in being appreciative of beauty when you see it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250726797027&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Is it just me, or...? (beautiful blonde Rivoli content)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
Very nice indeed.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »
Wow!
That is a beautiful specimen.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
You do realize this is one of the Korean reissues, right? Nice looker but AFAIK these generally don't go for more than $600 US.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
beautiful.  i have a sb one but i likethe natural much more now...  pickup needs to be replaced. pretty crappy...    everything else is pretty good quality.  price is high for a reiisue i think..
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't get the prices these go for. They are nice basses, and i've bid on a few to play out when i'm feeling nervous about my older gear. The two pickup is the one i'm after and the UK price seems to approach £600 or even £700 every time I see one on the bay.

Having said this, i've never seen a beater - the people who bought these when they came out generally seem to have looked after them.

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »
beautiful.  i have a sb one but i likethe natural much more now...  pickup needs to be replaced. pretty crappy...    everything else is pretty good quality.

Exactly what I was going to write. Pickup on mine was also really crappy, but everything else is sweet.

BTW, if you have never played one before I should warn you: it is much heavier than it might look. Being a semi you would think it should be lighter than a solid body, but it really isnt.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »
These sound great with a Dimarzio Model 1 pickup.  I've got a Korean sunburst and it does the job nicely.

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
My hat's off to anyone that can play one of these.....I did 1 song onstage with it, put it back in the gig bag and sold it on ebay 2 days later. Horrible even for a mudbucker.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »
i like my dearmond guild starfire much better.  one of these days i will put DS in it..
JIM

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
I ran across one of these used at a shop not too long after they came out.  I picked it up and the dang thing had the studs squishing the wood under string tension, almost yanking out.  There were a lot of Casady Les Paul basses I heard of that happening to.  I figured that is why someone would dump it so fast, so I mentally blot them out.

I too liked the fake Starfire basses a bit more as well.  And the 70s Guild pup copy was not too shabby either.  Only thing that was bad news about them was when Fender put them in the Allman Brothers Jazz bass.  Wrong for that.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
You do realize this is one of the Korean reissues, right? Nice looker but AFAIK these generally don't go for more than $600 US.

The hideous reality we face here is where something (new) is in $, over here you knock off the "$" and replace it with a "£" - everybody blames it on the cost of being sent over here, but... so Jules' comment on £600 is on a par with your USD price...

That EB2 copy I posted up went for £153 (or summat) and that was a poor bolt-on neck copy
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »
I love those Starfire's.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
The hideous reality we face here is where something (new) is in $, over here you knock off the "$" and replace it with a "£" - everybody blames it on the cost of being sent over here, but... so Jules' comment on £600 is on a par with your USD price...

That EB2 copy I posted up went for £153 (or summat) and that was a poor bolt-on neck copy

i think i only paid in mid 300's for it new.   not above 400
JIM

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Yeah, I don't get the prices these go for. They are nice basses, and i've bid on a few to play out when i'm feeling nervous about my older gear. The two pickup is the one i'm after and the UK price seems to approach £600 or even £700 every time I see one on the bay.

Having said this, i've never seen a beater - the people who bought these when they came out generally seem to have looked after them.

Last Rivoli II on eBay.UK fetched GBP 960 ...... The "ordinary" Korean Rivoli's usually go for around GBP 500. [spam mode]I'll probably put up my Rivoli for sale in the near future and I'm definitely not gonna let it go under EUR 600. It's upgraded with a Hipshot SuperTone bridge and a DiMarzio Willpower PUP  :mrgreen:.[/spam mode]

It's playing great but I like my Starfire a lot better. It's got a wider top-nut and the neck is a much better fit for my hand. I like it so much that I've got my beady eye on a 2nd Starfire which is to be fitted with ChiSonics ......  :-[
Experience is the ultimate teacher