Author Topic: Gene Simmons and his burgundy Grabber.  (Read 9144 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Gene Simmons and his burgundy Grabber.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon in '76, both nights, got some reasonable shots and an odd one (so I was told by a Kiss obsessionist I knew) of Frehley playing an Explorer for the encores...? I may even still have some "KISS ARMY" armbands in the loft, somewhere...

I always thought they crafted some very clever "pop", if you listen to their "hits" seperated from the main body of their work - "Alive" is the only CD I have these days, but I still want to get "Destroyer" some time (again)...

I would not consider myself to be a "fan"...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »
Frehley playing an Explorer for the encores...?   

There are very few pictures of Ace with that Explorer. I always figured it was one of their endorsement pieces. Then again, he still had it in 1978 when pictures were taken of him with all his guitars in his basement studio, so it's one he must have liked. That's cool you got those!

I always thought they crafted some very clever "pop", if you listen to their "hits" seperated from the main body of their work

That's what attracted me to them in the first place. I heard a Beatles influence and was hooked from there.

Blazer

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon in '76, both nights, got some reasonable shots and an odd one (so I was told by a Kiss obsessionist I knew) of Frehley playing an Explorer for the encores...? I may even still have some "KISS ARMY" armbands in the loft, somewhere...

Yup. Ace played Explorers and explorer type guitars such as Ibanez Destroyers (quite appropriate if you ask me) and a five string tuned to open G Steve Carr made custom number.

Here's another cool picture of Ace Backstage, behind him are two of Gene's Custom Spector basses. Gene used these basses for a LONG time.

But perhaps the strangest music instrument that Ace played in Kiss must have been Eric Carr's Ludwig drumkit.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
It's sort of strange to see Ace without his LP's! He may not be the best player but he inspired me and countless others to pick up a guitar. I will always be grateful to KISS for that.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 06:53:34 AM »
I knew where the negs for these were but I gave the prints away years back so no frame of reference until I scanned today - sadly degenerated and scratched - I was about 10 rows back or so and excuse condition of shots... 2 rolls of film used that night... about 1/2 were reasonable... not my best work...

I'll post some of Gene if you want, but same sort of condition...  :sad:

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 08:30:08 AM »
Oh wow, Ken, our Kiss Army grunts are gonna go wild about those! I actually think an Explorer looks better on Ace than an LP, goes well with his lightning jumpsuit applications.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:17:59 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
That's one thing that Gene Simmons himself said on the "Kissology" DVD's he knew that Ace and Peter Criss wouldn't last long after "Destroyer" since they both preferred to indulge in the excesses that came with the amount of money the band started to make.  He himself was guilty of that too though.

Kiss during the eighties with Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick might not be the classic line up but they were a much tighter band, a much better unit of four.

That clip is either 100% dubbed or they used tapes for the background vocals.  :-\ How else can you explain that during the chorus (just look at 1.28-1.31 for example, again at 2.22-2.25) Herr Eisen choses not to sing, yet you can clearly hear him in the background as the lead voice. Ouch. And it's not like the chorus of Lick it Up is Bohemian Rhapsody Part II that would necessitate such shenanigans. Unless of course Paul is a ventriquolist with an in-built mike.  ;D And please now none of that Coverdale-crap how "Carr, Simmons and Kulick have similar voices to Stanley". They don't. Anybody who's heard an undoctored bottleg from that era knows that Kiss backing vocals weren't exactly Beach Boys or Bee Gees standard.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:37:03 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 12:54:55 PM »
Blazer used this underneath his avatar a long time. A Mythbusters quote:

I reject your reality and substitute my own

I guess he meant it.

Blazer

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 01:56:45 PM »
That clip is either 100% dubbed or they used tapes for the background vocals.  :-\ How else can you explain that during the chorus (just look at 1.28-1.31 for example, again at 2.22-2.25) Herr Eisen choses not to sing, yet you can clearly hear him in the background as the lead voice. Ouch. And it's not like the chorus of Lick it Up is Bohemian Rhapsody Part II that would necessitate such shenanigans. Unless of course Paul is a ventriquolist with an in-built mike.  ;D And please now none of that Coverdale-crap how "Carr, Simmons and Kulick have similar voices to Stanley". They don't. Anybody who's heard an undoctored bottleg from that era knows that Kiss backing vocals weren't exactly Beach Boys or Bee Gees standard.
Well I never stated in my post that this clip was untempered with, this footage is a cut and paste from three concerts they gave in Cobo Hall and they used the audio from the best of those three. The rendition of this song also is much faster than the studio version. Why do you hear Stan's voice when he's not at the mic, because it's the audio from another performance.

They also had a keyboard player playing backstage, to add a little spice where the guys were lacking. Why do you guys get the idea that I posted that clip of "Lick it up" to show what kiss sounds like undoctored?  That was NEVER my intention, it was my intention to show that they were a tight band in those days.
Blazer used this underneath his avatar a long time. A Mythbusters quote:

I reject your reality and substitute my own

I guess he meant it.

Give me a break here Chris, what's wrong with defending the bands I like?

Perhaps I should change my Avatar quote into another Mythbusters Quote: "Quack, damn you!"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:03:00 PM by Blazer »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »
Well I never stated in my post that this clip was untempered with, this footage is a cut and paste from three concerts they gave in Cobo Hall and they used the audio from the best of those three. The rendition of this song also is much faster than the studio version. Why do you hear Stan's voice when he's not at the mic, because it's the audio from another performance.

They also had a keyboard player playing backstage, to add a little spice where the guys were lacking. Why do you guys get the idea that I posted that clip of "Lick it up" to show what kiss sounds like undoctored?  That was NEVER my intention, it was my intention to show that they were a tight band in those days.
Give me a break here Chris, what's wrong with defending the bands I like?

Perhaps I should change my Avatar quote into another Mythbusters Quote: "Quack, damn you!"

What I don't know about KISS could fill an encyclopedia, but I do know this: when somebody says a certain lineup of a band is better -- or in your words, a much tighter band, a much better unit of four -- and then posts a video of that lineup, EVERYONE is going to presume that the video is intended to support your claim.

A video with doctored audio does NOT support your claim that they were a tight band in those days.

Others were right to point out that it's doctored. Now you're implying that you knew it was doctored. If that's true, it means you were trying to deceive people. That certainly won't work here. Too many KISS fans to call your bluff.

Blazer

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 04:28:38 AM »
What I don't know about KISS could fill an encyclopedia, but I do know this: when somebody says a certain lineup of a band is better -- or in your words, a much tighter band, a much better unit of four -- and then posts a video of that lineup, EVERYONE is going to presume that the video is intended to support your claim.

A video with doctored audio does NOT support your claim that they were a tight band in those days.

Others were right to point out that it's doctored. Now you're implying that you knew it was doctored. If that's true, it means you were trying to deceive people. That certainly won't work here. Too many KISS fans to call your bluff.

GIVE ME A f***ING BREAK!  :rolleyes:

What does it take for me to post a clip of a fun song played really well and you guys not being suspicious about the contents of the thing?

Okay, you want Kiss with Bruce and Eric without tempering HERE YOU GO!

This footage is not owned by Kiss.

nofi

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 07:12:56 AM »
at this point blazer after so many 'debates' arising  from  your postings and very declarative prose you use, i suspect an ulterior motive most of the time. that motive would be your qwest to prove you are   the big brained, lord god king of musical trivia forever on earth. amen.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:11 AM »
Well said.... and on that note, let's close it up.