Author Topic: Should we get one of these for Uwe?  (Read 4298 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Should we get one of these for Uwe?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »
One in Stuka-shape with the sirens.

And facing west?   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Maybe a matching twin version for a P-38 motif?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
Uwe might appreciate a Heinkel 111 more than a Lightning or a Mossie...?

(wherever he's lurking, I wish him some sort of peace between the briefs...) ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
Uwe might appreciate a Heinkel 111 more than a Lightning or a Mossie...?

(wherever he's lurking, I wish him some sort of peace between the briefs...) ;)

But what if he wears boxers?   :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
Depends if the boxers are purple or if they think they are blue! :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »
In the clearing stands a boxer...?

Boxer rebellion...?

Back in my box...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:05:34 AM »
I do like the realistic depiction - most P-40ies the Luftwaffe saw after an initial skirmish were in nose-down position at an irretrievable angle  ... I wonder if it stalls too?! 8)

I had my first really close call experience with an airplane last week, on a Lufthansa flight from Munich to what should have been Frankfurt, but ended up being Düsseldorf, some 250 km to the northwest. There were heavy summer storms after two unbearably hot days and we were already for hours delayed from Munich when we finally got permission to start for Frankfurt. But the storm must have been somewhat freakish and while descending in frankfurt we were shaken about and during landing a ghust of wind almost tipped us over, one wing uncomfortably close to the ground. I was beginning to think: "Ok, at least this will be quick and not hurt much, life insurance is all in place ...". Anyway, either the pilot did the right thing or his nerves went, but he aborted the landing and pulled up the nose of the plane for the steepest climb I have yet had with a passenger plane. It took him ages to say something on the intercom, he was obviously gathering himself. We then flew on to Cologne (who wouldn't let us land either) and finally Düsseldorf. While the passengers were disembarking the plane, the youngish pilot - pale as a ghost and visibly shaken - stood before the cockpit door bidding everyone farewell and I wisecracked to him "Can I fly some more with you, that wasn't boring at all!" while the poor guy forced a smile.  I thought of Slade's near-crash song "Wheels ain't coming down".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »
Wow... I had a asimilar experience like that and I didn't like it. Gimme a car and a circuit. Much better. That isn't safe either, btw. See last weekend's Le Mans:(

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »
Yikes! That was too close for comfort. One experience like that is too many! Glad you were able to contribute a little dark humor, I hope the pilot appreciated it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »
The old saying in aviation is applicable:

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:09:18 AM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
This is the same ferry I used to cross over to Lewis on, MV Suiliven, now only just retired, and sadly awaiting a buyer to take her to the breakers... the video does show the props emerging from the water... this was filmed leaving (Wellington?) a harbour between the north and south Islands of New Zealand...

I had my worst trip was on her predecessor, going over to the Island, 2nd January 1974... it was a storm force ten in the Minch and it normally (for the MV Hebrides) took 3hrs 30min to make the crossing to Stornoway... I was heading up for my gran's funeral (she died new-years morning) with mum. dad and sis and we were stuck in port with a funeral scheduled for 1000 the next morning... dad drove all night to get there for the ferry and it was too rough to sail... mum spotted someone she knew in the ships crew and she was able to find us a freebie berth for the four of us for the night... in the early hours the storm had abated to Force 9 and the Captain, knowing he had a tough ship, set sail... the trip took 5hrs 15mins, canted the whole way by at least ten degrees to port, into the teeth of the storm, bow fully disappearing into waves numerous times and the sound of the props coming out of the water is something you just do not want to hear, but it certainly happened, far too frequently... all you could see out of the windows was blackened seas to port and iron-grey skies to starboard... it was impossible to open the starboard doors and it was plain nuts to goo out to port, but some did, myself included... closest I've ever been to being travel sick... probably should not have had the full Scottish brekkie I had...  :popcorn: :puke:
We made the funeral, just...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
The ferry trips I took when I lived in New Orleans were a lot more tranquil than that.  This is kind of like comparing the Monkees to the Beatles. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
Plenty of "white" water to be found around the coastline of the USofA... ;)

We don't get your "storms"...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
When I reported to Fort Knox in the 90's, it was the first time I had EVER flown, and since it was a relatively short hop, Knoxville to Cincinatti, it was one of those small "ferry" planes. About halfway there, we hit some heavy turbulance. I LOVED it! The stewardesses, (they still called them that in those days)who were pretty cute and I was single, got a kick out of me loving every bump with a shiteating grin while most of the other passengers were VERY visibly shaken. One of them asked me why I wasn't afraid and I told her that if we did crash, it was at least a fun ride. Had the Army bus not been waiting for me upon landing, I would have had a pretty nice 'layover.'  ;)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 08:13:36 PM »
we just had a big storm here(wellington-thats where that video was filmed from),wind gusting to 22o k - one of the ferries broke free of its moorings in the harbour ,most eventful for the crew.2 trees down at my house and a section of fence.
Louder bass!.