Author Topic: Yes, tonight  (Read 5107 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Yes, tonight
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
I believe that is a vocal processor on top, a bass multi-effect unit below that, and a set of Moog Taurus III pedals. Pretty simple really.

Jon Davison singing. I'm a lifelong Yes fan, but I can't get on board with this lineup. No Jon Anderson is one thing, but no Jon AND no Chris is pretty much a deal killer for me. That and when I saw them in 2014, Alan White was barely able to keep up the pace. What I'm really interested in is the upcoming Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman project.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
That last Yes album that Roy Thomas Baker produced - it was nothing short of horrible. Squire would have deserved to go out on something better, his project with Steve Hackett ("Sqackett") was good.

I liked the guy they had on Fly From Here (in the studio, he had a nice voice - live he no doubt lacked frontman qualities and was uncomfortable with them).

This new guy I know from Glasshammer, those Yank neo-Progsters. Certainly an able singer, but not Mr Charisma either.

By now there is not a single original Yes member left and only one from the classic line up (Howe).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:27:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
so the top bit is an autune unit??

my favourite bit is the magnifying glass mounted in front of the display on the middle unit

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
I believe that is a vocal processor on top, a bass multi-effect unit below that, and a set of Moog Taurus III pedals. Pretty simple really.

Jon Davison singing. I'm a lifelong Yes fan, but I can't get on board with this lineup. No Jon Anderson is one thing, but no Jon AND no Chris is pretty much a deal killer for me. That and when I saw them in 2014, Alan White was barely able to keep up the pace. What I'm really interested in is the upcoming Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman project.

I'm conflicted, really. Chris wanted the band to go on, but when you just have Steve Howe and Alan as (barely) original members then it does seem a bit odd. Jon Anderson apparently got better, but Squire and company pretty much ignored him. Maybe it comes from that very English fear of personal conflict?

When will Yes become 'A Night with Steve Howe and Friends' for instance. Yes's music is living music, so when you replace all the original musicians with bit players then it does start to suffer. Yes's greatest works, in the main, were devised by over-privileged public school boys throwing the kitchen sink into every composition. The lyrics are obtuse and impenetrable, and the arrangements are needlessly complex, in part to demonstrate that these guys could come up with needlessly complex parts (does anybody actually enjoy Five per Cent of Nothing?). Yes's music is a young man's game, and you need that arrogant false confidence to pull it off, with the most sincerity anyway.

I feel the Yes timeline is synonymous with loss, really. The concerts recorded and included on the 'Progeny' release capture the band at the start of Alan's first tenure. Out goes Bruford's deft off-time jazzy feel, and snappy snare work, and in comes White's paunchy stadium-rock lope. By the time Wakeman was replaced with Moraz they lost another link, or another spark, from their sound. At the same time, White's more explicit, overtly rock drumming perhaps gave the band a slightly wider appeal?

I think the vocal unit is a TC-Helicon VoiceLive 2. Is he using i for harmonies?

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
Im a Yes virgin, I only forced myself to listen to them recently because you guys lost your minds when Chris died,
 when i was a 16 year old with a mohawk they were the antithesis.
I listened to a bunch of it, Liked it all while it was on but nothing grabbed me enough to make my precious 32GB.  it felt very much a soundtrack to an era that I wasn't connected to

I enjoyed the live show more than I expected, I got to watch an extremely acomplished bass player performing stuff written by a Legendary Bass part writer. in a format where the bass was effectively the lead instrument, whats not to like? the singer kept reminding me of the block from supertramp

but my biggest impression of the evening was the body language of the crowd;  the venue was only half sold, all seated so I changed vantage point several times,
 the furthest forward i could get in each  wing, then just behind the sound man(who did an amazing job, the Centre is a slag of a building acoustically which defeats 90% of sound engineers) and there were a lot of men of a certain age, nodding appreciatively, much like I see at Quo, or Moody Blues, or AussieFloyd but there was a certain feeling of desperation, like they were trying too hard to be enjoying it 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »
^
This review reminds me of what Henry David Thoreau once said--

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:14:25 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »

I think the middle one is used as a midi controller, his bass "head" was a massive rack, with 3 amps, a handfull of outboards and a 12 channel mixer

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 05:03:20 AM »
Im a Yes virgin, I only forced myself to listen to them recently because you guys lost your minds when Chris died,
 when i was a 16 year old with a mohawk they were the antithesis.
I listened to a bunch of it, Liked it all while it was on but nothing grabbed me enough to make my precious 32GB.  it felt very much a soundtrack to an era that I wasn't connected to

I enjoyed the live show more than I expected, I got to watch an extremely acomplished bass player performing stuff written by a Legendary Bass part writer. in a format where the bass was effectively the lead instrument, whats not to like? the singer kept reminding me of the block from supertramp

but my biggest impression of the evening was the body language of the crowd;  the venue was only half sold, all seated so I changed vantage point several times,
 the furthest forward i could get in each  wing, then just behind the sound man(who did an amazing job, the Centre is a slag of a building acoustically which defeats 90% of sound engineers) and there were a lot of men of a certain age, nodding appreciatively, much like I see at Quo, or Moody Blues, or AussieFloyd but there was a certain feeling of desperation, like they were trying too hard to be enjoying it

I know what you mean, when I saw them in Nürnberg on the Fly from here-tour: Exactly the same audience. YES were always a bit the "young math teacher fresh from university, but he listens to the same music as some of his pupils"-band. And those math teachers are now granddads.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...